Chapter - 16

Sanskar's voice brought fresh tears in Swara's eyes. She opened her eyes to stare back in his fire glazing ones. Their faces were just inches apart and nose tips were almost touching to each other's.

His manly cologne relaxed her mind feeling secured. She started weeping badly.

Her sobbing's made him realise about their position. He removed his hold from her shoulders but kept on staring at her. He did not utter a single word but stayed there without any further movement.

Unknowingly Swara clutched his suit jacket in her fist. He saw her hold over his jacket and pushed his hands in his pant pockets which were aching to encircle around her petit figure.

'Beep' sound from his mobile broke his reverie. And he was back to his usual cold, arrogant mode.

"Are you done with your crying session?"

Swara opened her eyes hearing his rude remark. Her eyes fell over her hand which had clutched his jacket.

"So... Sorry Sir"

"You should be. After all it's your fault" He replied nonchalantly.

In a moment Swara's heart filled with anger. 'Male chauvinist. Every time it's our fault.'

"Sir, please excuse me. I am getting late." She turned to leave.

But Sanskar did not budge at her request.

"It's your fault that you did not kick his ass at his first attempt" Swara turned to look at him in puzzlement.

"What are you looking at me like this? If you don't explicitly declare your denial, what should one supposed to believe? Other one would take it as your acceptance. Ignorance... my foot. It doesn't work like that." He was furious.

"But how can I... he is my superior. My job is in his hands."

"Are you hearing yourself? At least, I would not have expected this from you when you are MY wife." Sanskar blurted out when his frustration reached to its peak.

Swara widened her eyes when his last two words hit her ear drum.

Her wide-open eyes made Sanskar realise the blunder he just did. He took a step back turning to other side.

"I... I mean... we... we have a contract so how will you lose your job?" he covered up fumbling.

"What if we did not have any contract? What if someone else was there other than me? Would you have supported? What would you have done in that case?" Swara questioned.

"Whatever one should raise their voices against any injustice else it haunts you becoming ulcer"

"For a person like you it's easy to say this. But it's not that simple for any girl like me who have so much burden on her shoulders."

"Wow and that's what we call it as woman empowerment. Cheers."

"You don't know how it works. We middle class people work hard every day. We save as much as we can because we don't have any legacy left behind by our ancestors. We can't even afford to be jobless even for one day. We have our families to look after."

"And for that you are ready to sacrifice your respect?" he cross questioned making her tongue tied.

"Do whatever you want. I don't care." Sanskar turned his back.

Swara turned to go out.

"Dare you leave alone. I am dropping you."

"No need. I can handle myself"