39

LOU'S POV

"I really don't care if his son has a football game or something, Ma'am!" Diane yelled on the phone.

She had been tense for the last couple days, irritated, exploding at every small thing. I walked away from the classroom, and the sound of chatter wouldn't let me hear what she was saying to the woman on the phone. It was Monday, and school had ended.

She had been extra mean today, even to me, because apparently I made too much noise when I moved my chair a bit, and that annoyed her. I knew she had to maintain the 'mean but hot teacher' facade in front of everybody else, but I didn't like it when she practiced it on me, that's why I was waiting for her.

All students had left their classes, but the hallways remained full while I waited for the dirty blonde woman to end the freaking call.

"Lou!" A familiar voice called.

I turned around to meet Allie's eyes, but almost immediately turned around and walked the other way, fast. I knew that I was probably gonna miss Diane, but I really didn't feel like talking to Allie right now.

"For fuck's sake!" She yelled, and some random teacher yelled back with a 'Language!'.

I didn't look back, I just walked, but Allie was fast. She had always been fast even if she wasn't athletic, she had always been one of the best runners even if she didn't train, so she caught my arm like she had other times before this. I bit the inside of my cheek too hard, and I felt it bleed a bit.

"Get off me." I demanded.

"I'm tired of this shit. Here, grab this..." Allie gave me an envelope, "Don't throw it away, read it when you can." She had a nose ring now, that I hadn't noticed. Well it's not like I looked for her face in the hallways like when we were friends and I needed to talk to her, and the only friend I had left had disappeared, not to mention my moody girlfriend.

Allie gave me a bittersweet smile and walked away. Her voice had been sincere and she seemed hurt. As much as I hated myself for it, I felt bad for her. I folded the damn piece of paper and threw it on my jeans back pocket.

Diane almost crashed against me on the hallway, but thank God she saw me before she made us both fall to the ground.

"Shit," She whispered, "Sorry, Jensen."

"It's okay, Miss." I played along, "Are you okay?" I asked, lowering my voice.

She nodded and walked away. I watched her walk with her things gathered in her arms. Her hair was in a high bun exposing her soft long neck that made my mouth water just to look at.

——————

"You just need a break, that's all." I heard my mom say.

I closed the front door slowly and quietly behind me and stood there for a while, listening.

"No!" That was Nicole.

I sighed. Not everyday we had Nicole home, and I was always grateful of having her around, but not so much when there was trouble along with her. I was a bit relieved supposing that they weren't talking about me, but still I was scared Nicole could say something about Diane and I. My mom sounded angry, a bit alike how she sounded when I baked that dumb cake and told her I liked exclusively women.

"You can't just quit!" My mom yelled.

I took my backpack off my shoulders, and threw it to the floor with a bit of trouble thanks to my goddamn cast.

"I don't give a damn anymore, I don't." Nicole said.

I walked into the kitchen, finding them both standing on opposite sides of the kitchen isle. Nicole looked at me with a bittersweet look, like she was glad to see me but not entirely. My mother's back was towards me, so I couldn't really see how angry her face was.