Chapter 53

---

They are ready...

They made all of the necessary preparations, gathering every last resource, every last soldier, ever last drop of duty, to drive the Reunion out of Lungmen and reclaim the city that is rightfully theirs. All that awaits them is an order. The skies grew darker; the sun began to sink. The clouds formed into a watchful eye, by the side of a wretched face above. Dust was carried in the wind, drifting slowly into a mound by the far side. The entrance to the slums was wide open.

Beyond the gates stood two boys marching forward, each taking long strides before sizing up their enemies. Behind them stood an army of a three hundred strong, bloodthirsty soldiers; the anticipation in their eyes glowed a burning red. A white-hot flare soared into the sky.

A purple bolt breached the Lungmen defense, plunging into the ground instead of a target. A red flash appeared, then it flickered, before–

KABOOM!*

Shields rose up, weapons lowered, cries shot through the gaps. A stampede ensued gifting the world endless tremors. Blood was spilled four hours early –or was it. A new defensive line formed to subdue the invaders,

---
Rhodes Island:
---

An arm and a leg flew in quick succession, hitting empty air, before another set countered, spitting out fast swipes. A hand grabbed an attacker's shoulder an arm wrapped itself onto a neck, choking the victim. Then the hand grabbing the shoulder reached for the victim's head, hoping to twist him into submission. A kick in the shin behind him freed the victim from his grasp, a flurry of punches and kicks turned the battle into his favor. A speck of blood escaped a pair of lips. The battle raged on, inside a training room, built like a city complex. The battle was far from one-sided.

And away from the chaos, stood Amiya and Kal'tsit watching the battle from afar. Meanwhile, an automated voice system, called the PRTS system, acted as a commentator for the spar, projecting its voice as a jubilant little girl.

"ELITE OPERATORS: MOONLIGHT AND KAISER RYE ARE EXHIBITING A DECREASE IN MOBILITY AND EFFICIENCY; HOWEVER, ELITE OPERATOR MOONLIGHT'S ESTIMATIONS CONTINUE TO REMAIN UNCHANGED!"

KERBLAM!*

"Dr. Kal'tsit, isn't this a bad idea?" Amiya asks, her ears drooping downwards as a bead of sweat trails down her face.  A nervous chuckle escaped her mouth. "Kaiser Rye hasn't fully recovered, and Mor –Moonlight–needs to rest for his physical and mental health. Shouldn't we break them up? We have an important mission..."

Kal'tsit takes a sip of coffee and sighs upon hearing her words. She shook her head after, much to Amiya's dismay, and looked at Moonlight's direction. "It was not my idea, Amiya. It was Moonlight's."

"What reason would he want to pick a fight with a heavily infected patient?"

"His reason to clash with Kaiser Rye is the same reason why he is opposing Kaiser Rye's position as an Elite Operator. He wants to control all known variables to ensure this 'arc' ends on a positive notes."

Chunks of concrete flew about, dust rose into the air, the sounds of explosions set off even though none were used to begin with. The spar lasted longer than an hour, but it seems like it will end soon. One black-haired Draco with hand-shaped scars on his face, and one operator with gray hair, wearing a mask with a crooked smile.

"Is this the best you got, soldier of Ursus?" Moonlight intercepts the Draco's high kick with a Mawashi Geri, halting the blow from hitting his head. Then the young man locked his leg around his opponent's calf, forcing the aged-Infected to kneel. He then sent a left hook to his face. "This is our new elite operator? You fight hard, but you seem tired out. Let me see why Kal'tsit elevated you to that status, Kaiser Rye!"