CHAPTER FORTY

T R I G G E R W A R
N I N G

blood, cutting, swearing

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

MATTHEO RIDDLE IS YASMINE AMAROS. CALANTHA, ERISED, EPIPHANY, LANA, DAÌNN, NICCOLÒ, KASSANDRA, AND MARLEY MCKINNON ARE MINE. ALL OTHERS UNLESS MENTIONED ARE JK R*WLINGS.

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

F O R T Y

THE first days of the new year felt like every other. There was nothing different about them, nothing distinctive or special. There were parties every night, in each common room, but the ones below me were the loudest of them all.

"Do you want to accompany me, Calantha?" Erised walked into my dorm, eyes meeting my own as I stared back at him. I wanted to say yes, just because of that look on his face, his sweet smile and beautiful, soft brown eyes. But I knew what happened the last two times I went to a party, and... . if I was being honest, I was scared to go to another.

My heart fluttered as I shook my head timidly, watching his smile dim. "I'm really sorry, Erised," I shrugged my shoulders, no longer looking at him, now focusing on the large book I had in my hands. I tried to smile once more, but even I knew too well that it was no use. "I'm just not in the mood tonight."

"Should I stay up here, then? With you?"

Another shake of my head, "No, no that's okay. I want you to have fun, you deserve to. Maybe you could ask Lana."

He shuffled, messing with the sprawled parchment on my clattered desk, the rickety chair beside him sliding across the wood floor as he moved it with his hand to lean against the drawers. "You know I don't like her lot." he mumbled.

It was quiet for a few moments, both of us staring at the other. His eyebrows were only just slightly furrowed, his mouth in the smallest of frowns, but he stared at me as though I were a sick child. The way Kassandra had stared at me two days ago.

"Well," he spoke up, "Is that... is that homework you're doing?"

"Just some reading." I spoke to him, drawing my eyes back down to my book, and keeping them there. I'd been wrapped up in Hogwarts: A History for the twelfth time. Bloody good book if I say so myself.

"What are you reading?"

I sighed heavily, still looking down at my book. "Erised, do you need something, or do you just like standing here and watching me try and read my literature? You know what I'm reading. This is your damned copy of the book."