Chapter 76

One month later

Kate's Pov

A lot has happened in this one month, my best friend Josh was murdered in front of my eyes. Leona, the person who helped me with the interview was killed because of me. I was badly injured and was admitted to the hospital for a week, Jane was arrested. But gladly after my statement they set her free. FBI agents are still looking for the real murderers but they're nowhere to be found. I'm still recovering from that horrible nightmare. But it's not over yet.

I take a deep breath as I prepare for the long day ahead, there's 5 new authors to sign, 3 books to publish and an evening dinner with Jane.

I arrived at Diamond Star Pubishling Company as Anna stood there waiting at the entrance.

"Good morning, Kate" She says and smiles.

"Good morning, Anna. You look fresh" I say as we walk inside.

"Delivery for Mrs. Connor" Says a man as he walked up to me.

"Oh my god, is this the part where some stranger walk up to me and murders me violently" I say a little too loud, catching the attention of the security guard as he stared.

"Kidding! She's kidding" Yelled Anna.

"Joykill" I sighed.

"We have a flower delivery" Says the man as he pulls out a bouquet of roses.

"It's from Janeeee" Says Anna in excitement.

"Put it with the others" I say as I head to the elevator.

"Cold as always Mrs. Connor" Says the delivery man as Anna and I step into the elevator.

"Come on, she's being romantic" Says Anna.

"She's being a pest" I bark.

"She loves you" Says Anna.

"I have an entire office of flowers" I sigh as we got out of the elevator and stepped into my office.

"Mrs. Connor, your 8:30am appointment is here" Says my other assistant Adria as she runs to me.

"What's the time, Adria?" I say to her.

"It's 8:00am" She replies.

"And what did I tell you about calling me Mrs. Connor?" I say giving her the evil eye.

"S-sorry Kate" She whimpered as she scurried back to her desk.

"You need to stop bullying the staff" Says Anna as she smacks me.

"Do I really give off that intimidating presence?" I say excitedly.

"No, you really don't" Says Anna.

I sit in my office staring outside as Adria brought me coffee, nostalgia hit me as I saw Adria. Adria reminds me of how I was when I met Jane. I was so intimidated by her, like a little child being scolded by her mother.

"Will there be anything else Mrs. Co..." Says Adria as I immediately turn around to scold her "Sorry, Kate" She continued.

"Nope, that would be all" I smile and she walked off.

I sighed as the rain started pouring as it pattered loudly on the windowpane. A lot really happened this year.

Let's start with Leo, he still blames me for the death of his husband. He looks totally miserable now. I can understand the pain he's going through. But he tries not to show his emotions much, he comes to work everyday, maybe he's trying to act normal and working as usual but I could tell that he's so broken inside.