Chapter seven

Layla

My sword drops to the boardwalk from shock as I freeze to process what he just said to me. Where are my parents? I don't want to answer nor remember which is why I always change my origin.

I am twenty years old and have nobody. No friends, siblings or parents. I only have one photo of me and my family together when I was a baby; I look at it every day. My mum is holding me and I am wrapped up in a white blanket. My dad has his arm around her and is holding my foot. They are both smiling. That look and the entire photo are so precious because it is all I have. Sometimes I even draw my mum and dad individually or some other people I think up in my mind and add me with them so I can see myself belonging to someone. I never knew my mum as she died soon after I was born and my dad is missing.

     "Don't worry you can tell me" his voice brings me back to the now.

He's looking at me again.

     "Will you stop looking at me!" I barge past him making sure I go right into his shoulder.

     "I just want to know" he holds his arm from my impact.

     "Are you serious?" I stop and face him. His comment lures my built-up thoughts and anxieties to flood outward. "You could be a weirdo or something, a murderer! Trying to find out any personal information from me and then you're going to take me to a secluded dark place and end me. You already said that you have been watching me! Your name is Maylock which sounds made up so I might just call someone right now" He needn't know my situation in being that I don't really have anyone to call but this might put him off, or motivate him.

"By the looks of this place, I don't think you have a phone or any communication opportunities here do you?" he narrows his eyes and crosses his arms as this conversation has taken a dark turn and it's not what I wanted to hear.

I step back from him as my anxiety levels have raised two bars.

     "I already know your name and there is always that idea of taking you to the dark alley of one of the skyscrapers" he adds and makes a move closer to me. "I just have to grab you and fly high. You won't escape"

     "Stay the hell away from me!" I increase my distance from him - now standing on the grass and him on the boardwalk.

He just stands there. His entire body stiff as the planks his feet are on and his eyes lock onto me. The rampant thumps of my heart force blood to my extremities- ready for anything. I'm warm and alert and conscious of what this so-called Guardian will do and what my actions will be in retaliation or retreat.

     "I am kidding" I hear him after a very long and tense while and it takes me just that to realise what he said.

     "Kidding? You don't do that" I glare at him as he jumps down to the grass but I still keep my distance from him.

     "I'm not a murderer or a weirdo" he quotes my words as he comes towards me. "I couldn't even fly out of here if I wanted too. These woods have a frequency that disrupts this" he shows his watch. "So, I can't use it. I can fly over these woods absolutely fine, land in them just the same but flying out of them is a no go. It's really annoying"

     "I don't really care" I state but then realise his situation. He's stuck like me.

     "But my name is actually Maylock and I'm a Guardian angel"

     "That still doesn't prove you aren't a creep" I quip.

     "Okay that's fair. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have joked with that" he shakes his head and runs his hand through his hair.