Chapter 35

"I'm still a bit confused," William said, his brows furrowed as he stared at Damian across the table. "I've heard about your dad and all, but I never knew there was mafia in Datoches. Guns 'n all? I mean, it's a little surreal, but you do look like the type."

He chuckled nervously, to which Damian just smirked and locked eyes with me as I brought over the store-bought mini pies and some plates for us. I'd insisted we told William the whole truth after he became almost as obsessed as I was to find who hurt my dad.

"I know something's up, Isabelle," he'd told me, and I couldn't keep it from him. So I invited him to Damian's—our—house for a chat.

"Guns 'n all," Damian repeated, reaching for one of the pies. "I suppose that's a compliment."

"Yeah, you're a great looking dude," William said, gesturing towards my boyfriend as if to show him it was obvious. Then he shook his head and looked around the kitchen. His head stopped moving, and then he looked puzzled, pointing towards the green plant that was miraculously still alive by one of the large windows. "Isn't that...you've got the same planter as Isabelle, and the same plant as well. I guess soulmates really exist."

He sighed and looked at us just in time for Damian to put his arm around my waist and pull me close, leaning his head on my chest as if I was a teddy bear. I smiled, running my fingers slowly through his hair as Damian said, "Nah, it's hers. She's moving in."

"Oh." William nodded, reaching for a pie, before he dropped it on the table and his eyes lit up. "Oh! Really? That's exciting! Congrats! I mean, I guess it's smart, she's here most of the time anyways, and now she's got the other house as well, and...I'm happy for you guys, way to turn the tides!"

He pulled the aluminum form down and took a large bite of the pie, and I stepped back to sit down in my own chair and picked up a pie. I broke off a piece of the crust and put it into my mouth, still struggling to eat.

"We haven't told Elina or James yet," I said, watching William closely, "and it's happening slowly." I was a bit surprised Damian said it so quickly, but I didn't mind. William had become a good friend, and he was a great supporter through everything that happened.

"Of course, I can keep my mouth shut." He mimicked zipping his mouth shut, and Damian shot him a suspicious look. William added, "I'll try to keep my mouth shut."

I let out a small laugh, grateful for the people still around me, as I lifted my pie and took a bite. The quiche tasted good—not great, but good enough. I looked from man to man as they each devoured their food, William looking around a bit more and Damian keeping his eyes on me and my pie.

"The mafia thing, I...I'm not scared or anything." William broke the silence that had come, and he cleared his throat, fiddling with the now empty aluminum form. "It's strange, and a bit scary, but I wanna help." He nodded along with his words, even if he sounded—and looked—a bit apprehensive. "Joel was a great guy, and even if I haven't known the two of you too long, I know he didn't raise a daughter who'd date—live with, I guess—a bad guy. So...if you'll have my help, then..."

He trailed off, shrugging into the air and nodding to finish his sentence. I couldn't help the raising bile in my throat; it felt like I was dragging another innocent person into this darkness I couldn't—wouldn't—get out of myself. But he sounded so sincere, and I appreciated the help he'd provide.

"Welcome to the Strac's," Damian said, a growing smirk on his lips that promised violence. "Keep up your shooting lessons with Mongrel, report to me or James if you see anything out of the ordinary."

"Yes, boss." William nodded, reaching for another pie as I broke off another piece of my own and watched them both closely.

Damian turned to me, his smirk turning into his wicked grin. "He's a natural," he commented, as if it was some sort of joke. I still didn't love the idea, but I put on a smile anyway and tried to finish my pie. Knowing my body at that moment it would be my breakfast, lunch and dinner in one, so I had to push it in.