11 ✿ Take My Breath Away | RitwikaSen

RitwikaSen

note: i was the one to offer this author a review bc i loved her book! besides the technicalities, you don't have to follow my opinions or suggestions.

first impression: title, cover and description (12/15)

the title isn't too creative, but it fits the genre, so no objections.

the cover sets a nice mood for the story and has all the necessary elements. i personally like covers with such a vibe, but consider lessening the blackness of it.

the description is informative and doesn't spoil. the only things i'd suggest are:

-there is no need for the sentence at the beginning or the excerpt in the end.

-when you say liv is repulsed, i suggest replacing this word with an explanation as to why he makes her feel that way (but briefly, ofc). there is definitely a reason why out of all people, he makes her feel that way. is it sth he did or said?

-fix grammatical errors:

plot (19/20)

i love the plot! it's realistic and such a slice of life. the pace was enjoyable and flowed well most of the time, except for things i'll mention in the writing style. the background stories of the characters weaved well with the events happening. i like that you have the book planned and know where it's going.

i have a note about the university job acceptance: i don't think universities could be this easy-going about delaying the start of her job. if she refuses to start on time, there are other applications they can accept besides her. if they wanted her specifically, and she wanted to delay it, it doesn't happen that easily either. she'd need to go to them and have a formal meeting.

characters (17/20)

overall, you seemed to know your characters well and made sure to give each of them a distinct role, persona, background story, and motive.

pat, witty and straightforward.

olivia, ambitious and goal-oriented. i loved her best bc she represents a lot of people her age with her issues with her parents too.

daniel, ambitious too but caught in trauma and anxiety, but at the same time, he has a great hold over himself. enough to assure his friend he was going to be okay. i loved this adult-ish touch to him but also mixed with being human with weaknesses. his interest in reading and poetry gave him the impression of a thoughtful, detail-oriented guy, so i predicted intense moments later with liv. however, i was disappointed with his rudeness when the accident happened 😭

josh, a great friend, but being busy with his own happiness and marriage preparations disabled him from noticing his friend's anxiety, which is normal.