Chapter 24

Turning around, Diana was surprised to see Remus Lupin standing there, the usual soft smile spread across his face. She didn't know whether she was glad to see him down here, or he was going to get her in more trouble. She could never guess what he had in mind. He was more mysterious than what he let on.

"What are you doing here, Lupin?" The Ravenclaw boy raised a suspicious brow at him. "You're supposed to be patrolling the fifth floor. This is the first floor. Or do you need a map?"

"I'm all set. Thank you," said Remus, smiling more broadly now.

He then started walking toward them until he reached Diana, now standing right beside her. She looked away from him before her mind could start thinking about how tall he actually was.

     The usual scent of chocolate and books hit her the moment he stood close enough to her that their arms were brushing against each other.

"Well?" The Ravenclaw boy pressed on. "What are you doing here? And what do you mean she's with you? Prefect's aren't allowed to invite students out after curfew —"

"I'm well aware of what a Prefect is or isn't allowed to do," Remus said gently. "She escaped hospital wing. I'm here to accompany her back to the ward, under Madam Pomfrey's strict orders."

"Why?" The boy investigated. Diana remained silent, wondering where Lupin was going with this.

"Well, unfortunately Miss Greengrass here had a terrible injury in their Quidditch practice today. She hit her head on the ground pretty badly. It was tragic," said Remus, letting out a sigh of pity. "She escaped the hospital wing because she was obviously out her own mind; couldn't think straight. She had a concussion today, after all. Which is why she was probably acting a bit crazy while talking to you."

Diana turned her glare on him sharply, but held herself back just in time before cursing him or smacking him on the back of his head. Although she was secretly surprised that he was lying with such ease and so smoothly.

The Ravenclaw boy considered this for a few seconds, looking between Remus and Diana as though he couldn't really believe them.

"How can I know you're telling the truth?" he asked Remus.

"You can accompany us up to the hospital wing, if you want to make sure." Remus shrugged casually.

Diana pursed her lips together, afraid that the Ravenclaw Prefect would actually agree to this. But she relaxed when he shook his head, probably not in the mood to go up all the stairs to get to the ward just to see if they were telling the truth or not.

"No. It's fine," he said.

"All right." Remus smiled again. "I'll see you later then. Have a good night."

The boy gave them one last nod as if to say goodbye, though he kept his eyes on them suspiciously as the two passed him to cross the corridor.

Diana let out a quiet gasp of surprise when all of a sudden Remus wrapped an arm around her waist, as though supporting her up so she wouldn't fall down.

"What do you think you're doing?" Diana hissed at Remus angrily in a hushed tone so only he could hear her.

"Shh. He's still watching us," Remus whispered, his arm still wrapped around her as they walked out of the corridor side-by-side, while his other hand held onto a blank parchment.

    Diana tried to ignore the tingles she was feeling where his hand touched, trying to think of anything except for his warm arm around her, or about how close they were standing.

    "How did you find me?" Diana asked quietly as they left the corridor, but she realized that he still hadn't removed his hand from around her.

    "Let's just call it a sixth sense." He shrugged, grinning.

But as though suddenly coming back to his senses and realizing that his arm was still around her waist, Remus quickly dropped his hand from her, clearing his throat rather awkwardly.

"Sorry," he muttered, avoiding her eyes. "We had to make him believe that you weren't feeling well."

"Right." Diana nodded slowly, not sure of what she should say.

"So..." he started, stopping to turn and look over at her. "What are you doing here?"

"Why should I tell you?" Diana crossed her arms.

"Because I just saved your arse," said Remus, smiling mischievously.

"Like you said," Diana grinned, "I was going to the hospital wing. I had a concussion, after all. It was tragic."

Remus let out a soft chuckle at that, shaking his head at her. The sound of his laughter was so gentle and soft that —

Shut up, Diana snapped at herself before she could finish that thought.

"If you don't tell me, I will have to give you detention, Miss Greengrass," Remus said cheekily, pointing at his Prefect badge.

"Fine." Diana huffed, not in the mood to deal with Filch. "I was going to the library."

Remus gave her a look, taken aback. "What for?"

"For our Ancient Runes' project," Diana said the first thing that came to her mind.

"At this hour of the night?"

"Why not?" She shrugged, smirking. "You may not care about our project, Lupin, but I think it's very important, even if it means risking being caught after curfew. It's the hunger for knowledge that drives me."

Remus obviously didn't believe her, and Diana knew that. But she was surprised that after a long pause he smiled once more, saying, "All right. Let's go."

Diana's smirk disappeared completely as she stared up at him blankly. "Wh-what?"

"The project is very important to me too," Remus said as sincerely as he could, but Diana didn't miss the mockery in his voice. "The thirst for knowledge is what drives me as well."

Diana glared up at his smiley face, holding herself back from cursing the grin off him. But if she wanted to stay out of trouble, she had to go along with it.

And even if Madam Pince caught them inside the library, they still wouldn't be in trouble, because Prefects could stay out after curfew longer than the others. Not to mention that Lupin had showed great talent tonight for lying and getting himself out of trouble if necessary.

"Fine," Diana mumbled under her breath grumpily in defeat. "Let's go to the library."