n e w f r i e n d s

This is their first year of middle school

This is their first year of middle school. Even before Nicolas knew about his feelings.

"Fucking bitch."

Nicolas turned to stare at the blond boy who had just said the same words he had. The only exception was that the words he said weren't directed at the short girl with the wild curly hair but at Kai. His Kai.

"Did you just call my best friend a bitch??" They both once again said at the same time and then their faces morphed into a deadly glare.

"Who are you?" Nicolas asked him.

"Maybe if you paid attention to the teacher when she seated us together you would know that my name is Arthur, Nicolas." The way Arthur said his name sounded more like he was naming the most disgusting thing to ever walk on earth and Nicolas felt anger rise in him.

"Well, Arthur, I have more important things to pay attention to then your stupid name." Nicolas said, using the same tone the boy had used on him.

"Oh yeah like what?" Arthur asked and on cue they heard soft giggling coming from the other side of the classroom making their head turn.

They were so in sync that their lips turned into a pout at the same time as well. They couldn't help but sulk as they watched their best friend giggle with someone who wasn't them.

Nicolas felt his fist clench as he watched the girl raise her hand and ruffle Kai's hair like he does. And the fact that Kai only grinned at her made his anger multiply ten times more.

It wasn't fair.

When Nicolas and Kai walked in their new school they were both brimming with happiness because they got to be in the same class. But then the idiotic teacher had to be the one to decide the seating arrangements before leaving them to fix a problem on the other side of the school and telling them to get to know each other for the rest of the class.

And of course Nicolas had to be sitting next to an idiot called Arthur while Kai was sitting next to a very pretty girl that was making him smile and fucking giggle.

And she was touching his hair.

"So you're telling me that kid is your best friend?" Arthur asked as he glared at the back of Kai's head.

"Yes and if you insult him one more time I'll punch you." Nicolas said.

"You also insulted mine." Arthur pointed out.

"She's obviously trying to steal Kai." Nicolas grumbled and Arthur turned to glare at him again.

"She doesn't need to steal Kai if she has me! She's not stealing anyone. And Kai's the one who's trying to steal Noelle." Arthur sneered and Nicolas tried to sock him on the face.

"Do you like her or something?" Nicolas taunted and when redness creeped onto Arthur's face he felt a smirk of satisfaction settle on his lips.

"I don't! She's just my best friend." Arthur said.