18 | attentive

"Don't fall

"Don't fall. Don't fall. Don't fall."

A curse slipped past Bella's lips as she stumbled in the white heels. Alice immediately reached out and steadied her while the human narrowed her eyes at Valeria.

"Saying 'don't fall' over and over doesn't help me to not actually fall," Bella said, sighing frustratedly.

Valeria smiled innocently and leaned against the house — though a second later, she stood straight because Esme yelled at her for getting streaks on the window. "Glare at Alice. I'm the one that fought for you to wear flats."

And so Bella did shift her glare to Alice, who smiled unapologetically. "You just have to break them in."

"I've been breaking them in. For three days," Bella deadpanned. Valeria snickered, glad that the annoyance had been redirected away from her. "Can I just go barefoot?"

Alice, of course, was horrified by the idea. "No, absolutely not," she said as if it was her wedding and she was the one going without shoes.

"Just thinking it's a little much, you know?" she mumbled, looking around the yard. "The dress and the shoes, and all of this."

Valeria couldn't help but agree as she glanced at Jasper and Emmett, who walked by with huge tree trunks thrown over their shoulders. There were countless flowers that Esme was carefully and individually placing anywhere they could fit.

"No, it's exactly enough," Alice insisted. "Tomorrow will be perfect."

"Where do you want em, boss?" Emmett asked, standing and looking around. The tree wasn't heavy, but it still wasn't easy to transport without potentially knocking something else over.

"On either side of the aisle," Alice instructed.

"What aisle?" Rosalie asked, holding a wide tree stump covered in moss and flowers.

Alice scoffed before walking over to them. "Does no one have vision?"

"Quick, take them off while she's distracted," Valeria whispered.

Bella hastily kicked the torturous heels off and pulled her converse back on, smiling sheepishly at Valeria as she did so. The bride-to-be surveyed the setup once more before her eyes sought out Edward. He was in the house and watching as his family put the finishing touches on everything.

It wasn't long before Alice was making her way back into Bella's line of vision, clear instructions on the tip of her tongue. "You, go home with Val and get lots of beauty sleep. That's an order."

"Okay," Bella said, hugging Alice tightly.

Then Alice turned to Valeria, pointing her finger at her sternly. "Make sure she rests. And no letting Edward sneak into her room in the middle of the night. No seeing the bride before the wedding."