lxiii. luke and i find our roles reversed

chapter sixty-three

─── luke and i find our roles reversed

          𝕱lying and I didn't normally get along, but flying straight to the New York conference centre 600 floors above the Empire State building whilst Zeus was there? Death wish.

In the early-morning darkness, torches and fires made the mountainside palaces glow twenty different colours, from blood-red to indigo. The conference centre, which just looked like an Olympian temple, was full of life. The twisting streets were full of demigods and nature spirits and minor godlings bustling about, riding chariots or sedan chairs carried by Cyclopes. Winter didn't seem to exist here. I caught the scent of the gardens in full bloom, jasmine and roses and even sweeter things I couldn't name. 

Towering at the peak of the mountain was the greatest palace of all, the glowing white hall of the conference centre. This was one of the few places that all gods met at, but most had places of powers in other areas of the world.

Our pegasi set us down in the outer courtyard, in front of huge silver gates. Before I could even think to knock, the gates opened by themselves which was creepy to be perfectly honest.

Good luck, boss gal. Don't die! Blackjack called.

"Thank you." I didn't know why, but I had a sense of doom. I'd never seen all the gods together. I knew any one of them could blast me to dust, and a few of them would like to.

Hey, if ya don't come back, can I have your cabin for my stable? I looked at the pegasus.

"No," She snorted, before flying off with her friends as Brooke, Annabeth, Luke and I stood, regarding the palace. I reached for Luke's hand, intertwining our fingers as he sent me a reassuring smile, before we walked into the conference room together.

Twelve enormous thrones made a U around a central hearth, just like the placement of the cabins at camp. The ceiling above glittered with constellations—even the newest one, Zoe the Huntress, making her way across the heavens with her bow drawn.

All of the seats were occupied. Each god and goddess was about fifteen feet tall, and when they all turned to look at you, I felt like I'd been called into a meeting with the principal (something I was very familiar with).

"Welcome, heroes," Artemis said.

"Mooo!" I turned, raising my eyebrows at, what looked like a sea cow, and Grover.

"What's that?"

"Bessie," Luke muttered, and I nodded, though it explained nothing. What was a Bessie?