lxiv. i'm starting to think that perhaps i need to go to therapy

chapter sixty-four

─── i'm starting to think that perhaps i need to go to therapy

          𝕭efore the party was finished, I decided it was best to call my mom and brother and let them know that I was miraculously still alive. Luke and I headed for a quiet fountain in a corner garden and he lay down for a nap whilst I called my little brother. 

I told him about our adventures, and Bessie—he wanted to hear every detail about the cute baby cow serpent—and I assured him that me and Annabeth were safe, that Luke helped save us. Finally I got around to explaining how the shield he'd made me last summer had been damaged in the manticore attack.

"Yay!" Tyson said. "That means it was good! It saved your life!"

"It sure did, big guy," I said. "But now it's ruined."

"Not ruined!" Tyson promised. "I will visit and fix it next summer."

The idea picked me up instantly, ecstatic about seeing my little brother again.

"Seriously?" I asked. "They'll let you take time off?"

"Yes! I have made two thousand seven hundred and forty-one magic swords," Tyson said proudly, showing me the newest blade. "The boss says 'good work'! He will let me take the whole summer off. I will visit camp!"

We talked for a while about war preparations and our dad's fight with the old sea gods, and all the cool things we could do together next summer, but then Tyson's boss started yelling at him and he had to get back to work.

I dug out my last golden drachma and made one more Iris-message.

"Sally Jackson," I said. "Upper East Side, Manhattan."

The mist shimmered, and there was my mom at our kitchen table, laughing and holding hands with a man.

"What..." Luke's hand slapped across my mouth before I could curse in confusion and alert the dude. Mum must have heard my muffled swearing, because she turned.

Her eyes got wide. She let go of the man's hand. "Oh, Paul! You know what? I left my writing journal in the living room. Would you mind getting it for me?"

"Sure, Sally. No problem."

He left the room, and instantly my mom leaned toward the Iris-message. "Dree! Are you all right?"

"Hi Mrs. Jackson," Luke sat up, still keeping his hand over my mouth as I tried to work out who the man was and why he was in my mom's apartment. "Andi and Annabeth are safe. Quest worked out in the end."