ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪꜰᴛᴇᴇɴ: Qᴜɪ ᴠɪᴠᴇ

【2.02】

Ray.

(n.) heightened awareness or watchfulness

♡♡♡

I moved first.

In front of the younger children, slowly backing them up, away from the demon. Emma does the same, watching the demon with caution, but also with curiosity. The demon watches us intently, I'm sure her eyes are glued to us. It's hard to tell when that shady hood of hers covers her mask.

Mujika moves next.

She walks over to the demon, and holds her arms out, expecting to hold something. The demon sheaths her swords. Then, she bends over and unhooks a bag from under her vantablack cloak. It falls to the floor with a thump. She hands Mujika two small bundles that had rested on top of the bag, secured with a vermillion bow. She takes the ribbon for herself.

Then, the demon moves.

Slow, tired movements towards the fire. Instantly, every child nearby flees to the opposite side of the room. The demon pays no mind. Just plops down onto the floor with her larger bag. Once settled, she messes with the ribbon. It's at this moment that I notice Sonju and Mujika are nowhere to be found. They wouldn't betray us now- not after everything...right?

"What's she doing, Ray?" Dominic tugs on my sleeve. He's still cowering behind me. The demon is smoothing out the long ribbon, her gloved fingers run across the satin-like material, eliminating any flaws. Once it's to her satisfaction, she drops it, and her head snaps up. She points to Jemima, who's shaking in her shoes behind Emma.

"Come here." It's almost scary how much demons sound like humans. No strange tremor, no deep rumbling in their chests. They don't hiss, either. Jemima looks to Emma, and then to me.

Emma nods her head, in favor of the idea. I shake mine vigorously. Completely against it. Seriously, Emma?

"It'll be fine." Emma reassures her. I'm not so sure.

"Sonju and Mujika trust her." I huff. Jemima is already moving towards the demon, she's seconds away from crying, but Emma whispers words of encouragement as she walks over. The demon tosses Jemima one end of the long ribbon.

"Hold it firmly." Jemima weakly pulls on it.

"No, no. Like-" The demon stands and walks behind Jemima, blocking our vision of her. A few of the kids whimper.

Shifting away from Jemima, the demon holds the ribbon taut. In the blink of an eye, she whips out one of her blades and slices the ribbon. Jemima cries and drops the fabric. I imagine the demon whipping out that blade again, to chop down a human. For her, it would take a mere second. No amount of training could protect us from that swift blade. I narrow my eyes.