Chapter 35

Lillian's POV

I was pacing back and forth until I got a call from Kent.

My heart pounced at taking the call. I'm worried Stefani might've-

"I'm not sure what the hell happened between you two this morning and I haven't seen her spiral out like this in a while- it's honestly been a few years, but please brace yourself for when she comes home. Stefani is a glass bottle of multiple emotions. It's hard to believe, but I know my daughter. please... Lillian, please do not engage with her as much as possible when you see her. I'll be coming home in a few hours to check on you," Kent was genuinely worried about everything that I still have the slightest clue on what's occurring and it's scaring me.

"I- I will, get home safely," I replied.

"I promise, and Lillian, I love you," he reminded me in a stern voice that gave me chills as he hung up.

The door swung wide open as Stefani stormed through and I ducked behind the kitchen counters as her keys tossed and slid across the counter.

"Well, her car is still parked outside," I heard Rachel shuffling in a hurried pace and they headed to her bedroom. I managed to slip away into my bedroom with the door cracked so I could hear as much as possible.

"I don't give a shit Rachel, what part of that do you not understand? I'm here to give space remember? Her being in my visuals defeats the purpose of all this," I hear Stefani ramble.

"I'll go get the project materials while you focus on- this," Rachel's footsteps became a little more clear as she made way to the living room.

"Wait- what about the fish?" Rachel called.

"I'll make a phone call," Stefani cut her off.

"I mean- nice to know you have contacts but Stefani, I'm literally your only friend. How are we-

"Kent's assistant wouldn't mind," I heard things rolling out.

"Yikes," Rachel's voice was a sharp inhale.

"Ready?" Stefani's keys jingled again.

"That fast?!" Rachel was oddly shocked for whatever reason.

"I always have them packed. Let's go please, chop chop, I have space to giveee," Stefani claps enthusiastically.

"Uh how are gonna fit that in the car, you drive a two seater with an exotic engine as a trunk?" Rachel was curious.

"I know you're a natural blonde but damn, you drive a G wagon!" Stefani stormed out and I quickly rushed out trying to figure out what was going on.

"Uh- hi Ms. Edwards!" Rachel yelled nervously.

"What's going on?" I became concerned.

"Girls trip? Heh heh... nothing too- Uh... crazy.." she mumbled off hopelessly.

She can't lie, she's a horrible liar.

"Rachel, unlock the doors!" I hear Stefani holler from the windows and I looked down to see luggage and her foot tapping impatiently!

"Rachel?..." I looked at her carefully. She just stared back with big eyes.

"Rachel?!" I started to yell.

"Sorry, I should get going! But don't worry, I'll keep an eye on her, promise!" She runs out the house leaving behind her spare key with me.

What the hell?!

I saw Rachel catch up to Stefani outside a few moments later and Stefani threw her belongings in the back of her vehicle. Before Stefani got in her car, it was like she could sense me...

She took one glance at me through the windows and- she scoffed with an eye roll and was practically pissed as she shuts her doors and drives off with Rachel tailing her.

I ran to my phone, I didn't know what to do. I never- I can't think straight.

"Kent?! Kent!" I was panicking.

"What?! Did she do anything?" He was so concerned.

"she packed up and left and- I did as you told by staying out of her way, but she's gone. Kent, what do I do?" I felt tears welling up.

I knew I said I wanted space, but this is ridiculous.

She took it too far.

"Look, I'm momentarily giving my position to my VP and I'm literally running home as we speak. Lillian, whatever happened, she needs to cool off. Just. Don't. Contact her," he made his last words clear.

He hung up and I was pacing back and forth in the living room. I've never felt so guilty and so horrible. She literally left because of me- how do I explain this to Kent?!

His daughter literally packed up and left because I told her I wanted space- I should have a right to ask that but- this is not what I meant!

"To hell with it," I dialed Stefani's phone and the line was ringing... quite literally.

I followed the sound and found her phone on her bed and practically everything in here was cleaned out except furniture and decorations..

All the jewelry was gone, perfume and old photos of her mom on her vanity mirror were completely wiped clean from existence.

"No..." my knees trembled and I'm watching the call get dropped from her phone screen.

She just-

"Lillian?!" I heard Kent rush in the complex and I ran straight into his arms. I fell apart.

"Kent, I'm so sorry. I really fucked it all up. Me and Stefani were bonding for the first time last night and then I told her I wanted space and she just- she just left. I'm so sorry!" I sobbed frantically and he held me tight.

"No no no, it gonna be alright. Everything is gonna be alright. I promise you, I am right here with you," he kissed my head and I clenched onto his shirt as my tears soaked him.

"I'm sorry," I continuously said and he comforted me.

"She'll be back, I know she will. Probably because you haven't left. This is the longest anyone has stayed after my first marriage and she's probably having a midlife crisis that me and you are actually getting married next spring. Just give her a minute. I'm glad you didn't leave and stuck by her side, I'm so grateful to have a woman like you involved with her life- but Lillian, all she needs is time," Kent made sure it wasn't my fault.

But little did he know, that's exactly what it is.

This is all my fault.

He says she's coming back, but the way she just-

I started crying harder.

I let my curiosities blind me into this outcome. I should've kept my distance, I shouldn't have tried so hard to get close with her. I thought I could handle her and I couldn't.

I never did and probably never could.

A/N: please don't hate me😭😭😭