28

"Why, what's wrong?"

"Shrek's hurt!"

"Shrek's hurt? Shrek's HURT? Oh, no, Shrek's gonna die!"

"Donkey, I'm okay!"

"You can't do this to me, Shrek, I'm too young for you to die! Keep your feet elevated! Turn your head and cough! Does anybody know the Heimlich...?"

"Donkey, calm down! If you want to help Shrek, go into the forest and look for a blue flower with red thorns."

"Blue flower, red thorns! Okay, I got it! Blue flower, red thorns! Blue flower, red thorns! Don't die, Shrek, and if you see any long tunnels, stay away from the light!"

I shook my head with a smile as I continued to watch the movie while Faye giggled next to me.

"I see why Donkey's your favourite," she mumbled over the chocolate she was eating.

"He's everyone's favourite," I stated the obvious.

"Um no... I kinda like Lord Farquaad," I turned to Faye with a scowl.

"You have got to be joking," I said.

"I'm not. He reminds me of Matteo."

At that, I couldn't stop myself from laughing if I wanted to. My body shook with the force of my snorts and giggles as I tried to gain my composure, only to fail. Faye was also laughing beside me, her joy mixing with my own.

"I... can't..." I gasped out holding my stomach.

"You have... the ugliest laugh..." Faye said through another round of laughter that got me crackling too. Her laugh wasn't any better yet she chose to pick on me?

After our laughing fest, We both leaned against the pillows, breathing hard and occasionally giggling.

"God I haven't laughed that much in forever," she said and I nodded in agreement.

"We should do this more often," I said.

"Definitely," Faye responded as we went back to the movie. It was the wedding scene and it was close to ending when a crash sounded through the house. I reached forward and paused the movie, my body on high alert.

Faye barely let out a breath as we both went quiet, listening. The sound of a gun cocking echoed in the hall and I quickly closed the laptop and turned to Faye. Her eyes were wide with fear and I knew she was the only one to get us out of this situation. We had to get out of the manor and fast. I had no idea where Alexa was but she could probably take care of herself.

I slid off the bed and once my feet landed on the floor, Faye's hand latched onto my arm. I coaxed her to get down with me which she did then guided her to the couch. I pushed her down so if someone entered, they'd never see her.

"Stay here until I come for you ok?" I whispered and noticed how her hands had begun to shake. I understood her fear but I would protect her with my life.

"Yeah," she whispered back.

"Good. Stay quiet."

I moved away from her, creeping towards the door and standing beside it. Footsteps came towards me and held my breath. The door was slightly opened from my left and I held my breath as a gun came into view then two tattooed meaty arms.

I struck then. With my body pumping with adrenaline, I grabbed his hands with my left, pushing them down so the gun was facing the floor before I grabbed it with my right, quickly switching and shooting the man in the head. The bullet was silent as it was released, the man's body falling, lifeless.

His blood had splashed on my face and I raised my arm to wipe it away. Glancing down the hall, I saw no one so I went back to Faye. She was crouched down, her eyes closed as her hands trembled.

"Faye?" I called and her dark eyes opened, full of fear and worry. "It's ok. We just need to get out of the building. Do you know a passage we can use?" I asked softly, trying not to spook her but the situation was dire.

"Yes, I know a way," she whispered and stood up, me with her.

"Guide me," I said and she nodded and we both walked to the door, me ahead. I peeked down the corridor once again, holding the gun firmly in my grip. Faye glanced at the dead body at her door once but said nothing much about it.

I creeped along the wall as Faye told me which turns to take. We went down a familiar hall and when I peeped around the corner, I knew why I recognised this place. Vittore's office was just ahead and three people clad in black blocked our way.

I raised the gun and took my aim before firing three bullets consecutively. Three bodies fell to the ground, their brains having been blown out. I grabbed Faye's hand, sure we'd be found if we lingered too long. We walked through the blood, bone, bodies and brains to another hall.

I was as silent as a snake when I moved but I couldn't say the same for Faye. She stumbled on her feet, constantly taking in too many harsh breaths that fucked with her breathing pattern but we had no time to correct it.

"Just through the living room, there's a painting of a woman in a red dress. There's a door disguised there," Faye whispered in my ear and I nodded.

When we reached the living room though, I had to pull Faye behind me. There were more people than I'd thought they'd be. About... 9 if I counted properly. I was just glad the sun was still setting when these guys decided to attack. If it was dark out, I'd be at a disadvantage.

I looked between me, the door, the people and gauged Faye's safety.

"Listen. I'll distract them ok. I'm sure it's me they want, I knew they'd come when they got the chance," I explained. "So when they are focused on me, I want you to dash for the door and-"

"No! I can't leave you," Faye protested but I glared at her.

"This is not up for a bloody debate!" I snapped. "You will run when you see an opening and you will get outside this estate and into town. Meet me at a restaurant called Roadhouse Diner. Am I understood?"

Faye was silent and I hardened my glare. "I said. Am. I. Understood?"

"Yes," she let out with a sigh. I nodded. It was weird talking to her the way I did. She could basically be my mother but I had to protect her. Vittore would definitely kill me if I don't. That was the excuse I chose to believe anyway. The truth is, the fun loving woman had grown on me.

"Come," I said helping her hide in a bunch of potted plants. She had the perfect view of the door.

"Wait for an opening," I reminded her before dashing down the hall.

First, I had to make sure Faye didn't get shot once she was free which meant I had to kill all the possible guards outside. So much work.