trapped.

The air was thick and the fog was heavy. It looked like they were on some surface-au, but it was so small that you could literally see the edge of the universe if you squinted slightly. Whatever buildings were scattered across the "get along au" were completely empty and reaked of rotting wood.

Soft drops of rain fell from the gray sky, causing both to flinch at the unfamiliar feeling of weather and run for shelter under two adjacent trees. Normally Chevron would be thrilled to be on the surface again, but something about this place was... too familiar yet unfamiliar. 

"What did you do, bonehead?" Chevron accused, pointing a finger at Error.

Error threw his hand widely around in shock that he got accused of something before retaliating, "None of this would have happened if you had just given me Frisk's soul! Stupid kid, why do you even need it so bad?!"

"I just do!" Chevron choked on his words, coughing. He wiped his sleeve furiously across his eyes before turning, his hair following his head.

Error's chest tightened and he threw his fist down. "Fine. And people say that I'm bad at communicating with people," he grumbled. "I'm missing Undernovela anyways."

Error waved his hand and stepped, but only moved forward. He looked around, trying again, but still didn't move very far. "Well. That totally sucks."

"Are your tear strings not /throwing you a line/, Windows?" Chevron stifled a snort. "It'll be satisfying to leave you here by yourself anyways." Chevron began punching the air and the ground, but he too wasn't able to go anywhere.

"Tell me you're just mocking me," Error said, folding his arms tightly again and pushing himself further against the tree. "Don't tell me that that club of goody-two-shoe losers actually made something that works."

Chevron turned his head away from Error but copied his pose. His shoulders were shaking and he kept wiping his eyes with the sleeve of his sweater. Eventually, the cloth looked so wet that Chevron could use the excuse that he had just held his arm in the now pouring rain if Error hadn't been there to testify otherwise.

"Yikes." Error turned away and looked out into the distance, try to make out the foggy blurs in the background. They were probably houses, and would work out better as shelter than the trees, but--

"Dad! Wake up! I need the birthday Valentines for school today!" That was the voice of a child who sounded... creepily familiar. Chevron heard it too and was staring, cutting into the child who had made the noise.

Error had to squint in order to see it clearer, then chocked up what he saw to his fading sanity and poor eyesight.

Standing not 20 feet in front of them was a younger version of Chevron.