2•something twisted

They call it "daydreaming."

Umi, who is not a poet, could only use the word to describe the situation. She woke up as quickly with a sharp "What?" from Ethan, her classmate for the summer, who caught her staring blankly at him. She looked away, and yet, the entirety of waiting for the professor, she stole a glance at him twice, who sat at the opposite end of the classroom.

As the subject ended and people were leaving the class, James' delighted expression and waving hands by the door, halted Umi's exit. "Bro, you and Umi are in the same class."

"Wanna eat lunch together?" he asked as she left the two.

"My treat!" he screamed when Umi already stepped away with no answer.

Only then she stopped, sighed at his loud voice echoing in the hallway. Ignoring a few interested gazes, she glared at James. Whether he intended to embarrass her or himself, his expression never changed

"Premium burger, a double patty with eggs and a can of Coke!"

"Double cheese for me!" someone answered before Umi could reject. A girl, in her bouncy floral dress, passed her from behind and latched on James's arm. She glanced at Umi, then back to James, begging for a carton of juice as well.

Small world, Umi thought as she left.

On the way home after her solitude at the rooftop, enjoying the orange sunset, a "Hey you!" overtook the melody of piano in her ears.

Yanked to turn around, Umi was greeted by a loud slap. "I hope I deserve it." She nonchalantly removed her earpods and welcomed the confrontation of three people.

"After Bea's boyfriend last sem, now you're flirting with James?!"

Some people are blessed by design; beautiful, rich and smart. A few of them were named Pauline, who among other great things, was also known to be everyone's friend. But from her scowl, it seems the campus whore is not on the list. The hatred on her face was far from the amicable expression she showed James earlier.

Umi nestled her cheek. Truthfully, she'd welcome another one. Unknown to Pauline, she had the right to slap her a million times. "Then leash your dog."

A crisp slap landed again on her left cheek. Umi grinned.

"They say don't judge a book by its cover, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Slut."

"He's doing the chasing." Umi leaned forward and added with a mocking voice. "And you're doing the barking."

Before the third slap landed, Bea joined the conversation. "Pau, that's enough."

"Oh, the coward spoke," Umi teased. Her kindness was pitiable.

Pauline smacked her face harder.

"One." Umi coaxed her as well.

Another landed on her cheek.

"Two."

This time, her hand froze in the air.

"Tired?"

Umi's vision spun as the last slap forced her to turn sideways.

"You asked for it."

Pauline and friends already left but Umi was rooted on the spot. She could no longer feel her hand rub her cheek. Five strikes weren't enough. How much more will be needed to make up for Pauline? Umi wiped her tears before they even fell, she combed her hair back in place and walked away.

"How about let's scratch the jumping part, just get drunk here?" he asked, squinting to see me in the dark.

"Here." She placed the bottle between them. "We could share."