˗ˋ 16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE LETS
NEWT KNOW

. . .

Nancy Scamander was official the Seeker of the Gryffindor Quidditch team. James had announced it the following night, having confirmed it with their head of house and the Quidditch coach.

This of course was much to the disappointment of those who had wanted to try out for the position of Seeker upon remembering Ruth King's departure, but once hearing the conviction in James's voice about just how good of a player Nancy was - at this, the girl couldn't help but be embarrassed and hid her head in her arms, magic simultaneously causing the textbooks sat in front of Lily, Marlene and Dorcas beside her to float above their heads.

The disappointed took the defeat with grace, even doing so much as to congratulate her in passing as she made her way to her next lesson, Sirius and Remus by her side - he had become rather apologetic after the rocky beginnings, and that seemed to include having many conversations with her on the widest array of subjects, or simply just being in each other's company - whatever that meant.

Nancy did decide to omit that detail from the letter to her grandfather, which saw her huddled up on the nook seat by the fireplace, using a Transfiguration book to lean her parchment on and the pot of ink balancing precariously on the cushions.

Instead, she wrote as much as she could about the days since she had said her goodbyes to her grandfather on Platform 9¾ less than a week ago. About the mishap on the train and how she had noticed her suitcase strain and as a result slipped down into the world beneath the old, scratched lid.

How four boys had stumbled upon the scene - and how Newt shouldn't worry about Dumbledore finding out because none of the four were the type to rat out their friends. Especially not when they had taken such a liking to Francis the Crup puppy, or when they found out about the magic within her that exceeded any of their own abilites.

Because even though they didn't always seem like it, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter might just have been some of the smartest people she could meet. And it wasn't just about the intelligence smarts either, their talents ranged over a variety of subjects, like this map she she had heard so much about, pranks, Quidditch or even knowledge on which storage cupboards would be best if she wanted to have an ensured safe space for her to take a trip down into her suitcase.

She told Newt about her Sorting and did a quick description of the room sround her, as well as listing her roomates. She wasn't going to do this for every letter she sent to him, but Nancy had travelled the world with Newt, and up until then she had told him almost absolutely everything.

And then, for the big news; she told him all about James's questions on the topic of her Quidditch ability and how she had gone down to the pitch with him and Sirius, and now she was the Gryffindor team Seeker.

"Alright, budge over." Nancy's focus was forced away from her letter as she felt a presence beside her and a shadow fall over her parchment. It was Sirius.

"You're blocking all the light." She complained, but she moved over anyway, watching as Sirius caught the ink pot before it fell and placed it down on the floor, before sitting down himself.

"Apologies, Scamander." Sirius pulled a hand back through his hair, leaning his head back until the crown collided with the stone, eyebrows raised as he looked at the letter. "Anything about me in there? Wait... don't tell me. But just let me know, it's all good, isn't it?"

Sirius felt something hit him behind the head and he yelped, leaning forward and massaging the spot before becoming confused; who on earth had done that. But there was nobody around him but Nancy, who was grinning.

Suddenly, he was thrown back to his time on the Hogwarts Express - where James had been hit with the exact same attack. "Hey!" Sirius exclaimed, Nancy hiding her mouth with her cupped hand as she laughed. "How do you even do that?"

"I have no idea." She shrugged. "It's not a spell or anything.. and if it was it would be something about controling the air particles at an incredibly fast rate... but it's just something really useful when it comes to confusing attacking animals."

Sirius stared at her as if she had just spoken in Latin, eyes wide. Nancy just shook her head at his confusion, mumbling something to herself a producing a small ball of light that floated around them like a bubble as she leant back to continue writing her letter, the light allowing Sirius to read over her shoulder.

And every so often, when their arms brushed, neither would pull away.