CHAPTER 7

I'm on my way to give Nate his birthday present and I'm nervous. I'm worried he might not like it or, worse, not accept it. I knock on his office door and enter once he says come in. I can't believe he's working even on his birthday.

"What do you want, Elizabeth," he asks, not lifting his eyes away from the papers in front of him.

"Happy birthday," I say, placing the wristwatch in front of him. I got him a Chronograph black leather wristwatch. I hope he likes it.

"Is that all?" he asks, stunning me. No, 'thank you,' nothing. Just 'is that all?' Really? You have got to be kidding me, Nate.

"Yes, that's why I came."

"If that's all, you can leave," he says, with his eyes still glued to the paper in front of him.

"Alright," I say and walk out of his office.

I was expecting him not to accept my gift. But to say, 'is that all' wasn't something I could've guessed. He leaves me dumbfounded every time.

***

Later that night, when I'm done with my makeup, hair, and dressing up, I wait in the living room so we can go to his birthday dinner together. I'm not sure if we're going together, but I decided to wait just in case, and I can go by myself if he doesn't come.

I should've known better. Nate doesn't see me as his mate, and yet I waited thirty minutes for him to pick me up for his birthday party.

I'm about to walk into the ballroom when someone pulls me into a dark corner. I almost scream, but my mate's scent settles me.

"Why are you just coming now?" Nate whisper-yells at me. Why are we talking in such a dark corner?

"I was waiting for you."

"Lower your voice. I don't want anyone to hear us. Why would you wait for me?" he asks. I can't see his face correctly, but I can imagine him arcing his brows at me. I wonder why he doesn't want anyone to hear us. It's not like we're talking about anything secretive.

"We're mates. I assumed we'd go together but came alone when I realized you'd already left."

"You should know better than anyone that I'd never come to my birthday dinner with you," he snarled.

"And why is that?" I ask.

"You've forgotten. Even though you're my mate, I'll never accept you as one. That's what I want to talk to you about. You're to make sure no one finds out that you're my mate."

He must be referring to the Alphas from around the country who came especially for his birthday dinner because the pack already knows I'm his mate.

"Why?"

"Because I said so. And I mean it. Not a single soul," he warns.

"Okay," I say, feeling sad that he wants to hide my existence. This must be why he's talking to me in a dark corner and doesn't want anyone to hear us talking.

He's ashamed of me.

I know he doesn't accept me as his mate. But how can he be ashamed of me? I never expected this.

"Good, now wait by the entrance. Liam will come and get you and he'll walk you inside. Everyone knows he's a playboy, so if you're with him, no one will suspect you're my mate."

"Okay," I say. My heart sinks as I think of how much trouble he's going through to make sure no one knows who I am to him.

"Walk out a few minutes after I do," he says, then walks away from me.