20 - first day

Did he just save me from the plastic barbie doll?

-------------

Today is the day, my first day of school

Today is the day, my first day of school. My first day of school ever. The first time I'm going to school. To say I'm nervous is another understatement, I'm going to die. Dead from nerves. What if they don't like me? All kinds of questions haunt my mind as I get myself ready for school.

We have to wear a school uniform. The uniform consists of a beige pleated skirt that comes halfway down my legs, I had to add a belt because it was sagging, even though it was already the smallest size. I also wear a white shirt with a collar. Then we have to put on a dark blue tie, with a matching blazer that has the school logo on it. And don't forget the hideously expensive shoes we have to wear. But the socks - which must come up to your knees - we are fortunately allowed to choose for ourselves. I just have white socks on because I don't know if we are allowed to go to school with banana socks. In my hair I put a white bandana to match my socks. Other than that, I can't really choose what to wear.

I walk down the stairs to the kitchen. I don't know what I expected, maybe to see my brothers there and them wishing me luck, but it wasn't to be. Riccardo was in the kitchen making bread. When he hears my footsteps he looks up from the bread. There is a look in his eyes that I don't understand, there are bags under his eyes and he looks grimmer than usual. Someone has gotten out of bed with the wrong foot. I walk over to the kitchen island and take my seat. Riccardo puts the knife down and turns around and opens a couple of cabinets. He places a bowl, a box of cereal, a carton of milk and a spoon in front of me and then turns around.

"Eat, you don't want to pass out on your first day of school," his voice sounds softer, what's the matter? Riccardo turns around and has a glass of juice in his hand, which he sets down in front of me. Surprised I look at it, how did he know-

"Nothing stays secret here in the house, Matteo had immediately told everyone that you like to drink juice," Riccardo mumbles. Oh. I grab the pack of cereal and put some in my bowl before pouring in milk and starting to eat. Meanwhile as I eat Riccardo starts back with the bread and puts it in a pink bread box. Does he have a pink bread box now?

"Where's your book bag?" Asks Riccardo. Quickly I swallow my bite and my eyes grow big.

"Oh shoot forgot," I want to stand up to walk to my room and grab my book bag, but one look from Riccardo makes me stop.

"You have to eat, I'll get it," with that Riccardo walks out of the kitchen. As I eat my cereal I try to think of what is going on. Riccardo is acting different, weird. Where is the mean irritating Riccardo with his dirty looks and irritating comments? And where is the rest? Are they all working? But Leonardo isn't working... Just as I finish my cereal, Riccardo comes running back into the kitchen with my gray backpack with pink butterflies. He opens my backpack and looks at everything in it, then he grabs the pink bread box and a bottle of water which he puts inside and then he closes the backpack again. He looks at me.