Forty-six

"Are you okay?"

I looked up at George who looked at me through the mirror while getting undressed.

"I have a few things I need to talk to you about." I said. "One thing will upset you and the other one... you probably won't believe."

He turned around to face me while continuing to open his shirt slowly.

"Well, start off with the thing you say I won't believe."

I nodded slowly and took a deep breath.

"Professor Trelawney is a seer, right?"

"I mean... I only think she's predicted the future a few times, why?"

I shrugged.

"Leah said she had a dream but in that dream, she saw our twins as boys, one of them were named Liam, she then saw you come home and tell me that we had an appointment with a Doctor Sara Hanson."

George paused.

"And then... you come home and tell me that exact name." I said. "Plus, Leah also predicted that you came home early."

His eyes were glued to me as he seemed to think about my words. He let his shirt slide down his arms and he caught it, throwing it onto the dresser.

"You think Leah is a seer?"

I shrugged.

"If she is, I'm going to be hella proud of myself. That means I created a seer."

George got rid of his trousers before he walked over to where I sat.

"You know how rare that gift is, right?" He asked, standing in front of me.

"I know."

"And you think Leah is one?"

"I don't know. I mean... how else would you explain her knowing the exact name of the counsellor you found?"

"Well—"

"Or how she'd know you were home that exact moment?" I asked. "Or how she knew that we had talked about the name Liam if we had a boy."

George shrugged.

"I don't know how she knew those things but there're less than twenty known seers." He told me. "The possibility of Leah being one, is small."

"Well, maybe there're twenty known seers because people want to keep it a secret." I said. "And if Leah is one, I don't want to be telling it to people either. They'd start treating her like a fucking fortune teller and she's not even six years old yet."

George walked around the bed and got under the duvet to sit against the headboard, and I moved up to sit next to him but on top of the duvet.

"I'll try to talk to Trelawney about it." I said. "But uh... about that other thing..."

"Right." He breathed. "The thing you think I'll be mad about."

"Fred came to talk to me today."

George looked at him.

"Shit. I forgot to ask him about sneaking out."

"That's actually what this is about." I said. "He told me why he snuck out and I promised to talk to you about it."

"He didn't want to tell me himself?"

I moved under the duvet and got comfortable, laying down while facing him.

"He snuck out to see Angelina."

I looked up to see George's reaction but there was barely any. He stared into the room before he nodded slowly.

"She tried to convince him to live with her but he—"

"We've got a restraining order against her." He cut me off. "She is not allowed anywhere near me, Fred or Roxi for five years and it's been three."

George looked at me.

"Why in the world would Fred sneak out to see her? He could come to me if he wanted her in his life..."

"Well... you haven't exactly showed him that you'd be willing to let that happen."

George cocked an eyebrow at me, but decided to ignore the comment.

"He snuck out at night when he was supposed to be asleep. He went somewhere without telling us and Angelina was okay with that? What if he had been hurt or if something had happened? We wouldn't know because he hadn't told us where he had gone, and he doesn't even view her as his mother anymore."

"She'll always be his mother."

"Is that why they want you to adopt them?" He asked as he got out of bed.

"Where're you going?" I asked. "Fred is asleep."

"Is he?" George raised his eyebrow before leaving the room.

He returned only a moment later and closed the door.

"He's asleep."

"See? It was one time and while he needs to know that sneaking out at night is not only wrong but can be dangerous, there's no need to get angry with him."

"I don't get angry with him! I get angry with Angelina because she's probably the person who told him to sneak out!" He raised his voice at me.

"Yeah, well when you get angry, you tend to show your anger towards someone else so why do you think Fred was scared to come to you about it?"

George shook his head and I noticed the way he pushed his tongue into the side of his cheek while he looked away, obviously not wanting to look at me.

"Yelling at your kids when they do something wrong, increases fear and they'll stop coming to you."

"We can't all be perfect parents, Dahlia." He said and looked at me again.

I could already sense where this was going and I didn't want to take part in it.

"I'm not fighting with you." I shrugged.

"But I've tried my best—" he continued, ignoring me. "...do you think it was easy raising a small child and a baby alone because my wife decided to up and leave in the middle of the night? I tried my best while also working the shop. I tried to keep up with what happened with my children's school and on top of all that, I had to protect my kids from racism because some people raise their kids to be fucking bastards. We don't all have the patience to be calm at every single thing our children do."

I sighed.

I wasn't going to answer him. I refused to fight right now.

"I'm getting a glass of water before bed." I said and got up. "Do you want one?"

George looked at me.

"No."

"Okay." I breathed, walking out of the room before making my way down to the kitchen.

As I filled my glass, George walked into the room but instead of joining me in the kitchen, he walked over to the dresser in the living room and found his paperwork from work.

I watched him as he sat down in the living room with the paperwork.

"What are you doing?"

He glanced up at me, even shrugged.

"You go to bed... I'll be up later."

"George, it's almost one in the morning. We need to be at the platform at eleven tomorrow. You need sleep."

"And I'll go to bed..." he said sharply as he looked up at me. "...when I'm finished."

I rolled my eyes at him and made my way towards the hallway.

"You wouldn't think I was the pregnant one."