Chapter 35

The whole night, the three of us spend time in the open beach around the hotel and whined about things in a drunken state of mind. I ranted about everything wrong in my life while Hannah mentioned her very miserable sex-life that wasn't going anywhere as she couldn't get wet around anyone anymore and no longer found anyone attractive. It was one her struggles. Lucas was just sitting around, listening to us like a good friend. Although, there was something suspicious about the silence coming from his side.

The next morning, we took the flight back to home and after dropping Hannah off to hers, it was just the hangover-me and sober Lucas in the car, completely quiet.

I took a whiff of the air, smelling something different. Lucas' scent was bothering me since a while now and I just couldn't tell why. It was cold, wild in someway. I took a deep breath and shook my head, ignoring the smell.

"So, how's everything since you've returned?" I raised a question, trying to create some conversation before my thoughts ate me up. Being alone with my ex was definitely not something I expected to do this year.

"Good, so far." He nodded, keeping his eyes on the road.

We were closeby, thankfully. My house was just down the street we were driving through. I scrubbed a hand over my neck and awkwardly planted my gaze on the window, looking at the houses passing. After the whole Mrs. Carlence-dog drama, she got another person for walking her dog. I couldn't blame her, I lost her husband's ashes somewhere in the wild and never got them back. I would've been pissed on myself too if that ever happened.

"So, you're going to be fine alone?" Lucas asked, braking the car near to my house.

I glanced outside the found everything the same as I left. Mom's car was still parked and I suppose she was getting ready to leave for work. She wasn't expecting me, not right now. This was going to be really embarrassing for me but I had to face it.

"Yeah, yeah," I whispered, pulling the bag over my shoulder. "I'm going to be fine. Just—" I blinked hard while desperately trying to avoid getting more awkward. "Can you get my bags? They are just really heavy." I shot him a wide smile.

He laughed, "Yeah, I'll get that for you."

I heard a click before Lucas got down from the car and went back to grab the bags. In the meantime, I looked inside the bag on my shoulder and checked whether everything was at place or not. After taking a deep breath, I opened the door and hopped out. The one-day-minature-vacation was indeed over and I was back in my cold town, Hillford.

Lucas dropped the bags by the entrance while I stood by the car. Wiggling around, I poked my nose everywhere and asked, "So, since it's the weekend, where are you going to head too?"

"Nowhere. Just here." He titled his neck and glanced at my house.

I raised a brow, "What?"

"I'm on duty to guard you. Why else would I be getting a sun tan somewhere in hot city when I am already tanned?"

I gave him an exasperated look before letting out a scoff and slapping my hand over my head. "Oh my God! You're the person Xalorad sent to look out of me. You're in the process of getting a title and that's why you're back here, isn't it?" I couldn't believe it that it took me so many days to understand Lucas' return. "I'm so dumb, aren't I?"

He let out a laughter before patting my shoulder and walking past me to get the last bag inside the car. "You aren't dumb, just not smart enough. I did win last year."

I was still in shock. Throwing my hands in the air, I exclaimed. "Congratulations!"

"It's still not decided yet," He leaned down and gave me a quick hug before heading to drop the last bag. "But it will be soon."

"That's so amazing." I squealed in happiness.

Lucas worked so hard for everything, he deserved every bit off it even when he came from a rich family.

When he came back, our eyes locked and we both let out a stifled laughed and it took me back to the days when he'd go on about the goals in his life and where to be in the pack.

"Yeah, I just have to look out for you now—till the Alpha returns. When I was given this task, I was a little surprised to why the Alpha wanted someone to guard you but since you explained everything, it makes sense now." He explained, getting inside the car.

I placed my arm over the other one on the window and looked at him. "So, you're just going to be stalking me all day and night?" I battled with my lashes, feeling slightly a bit superior.

"Well, it's just not me. There are two more men but for now, I'll be here whenever you need me." He shot me a wink and I couldn't help but laugh again.

"I'm just going to go rest for a bit, maybe speak to Mom. You can come in anytime." After sending him a cheeky grin, I turned around and pushed my hand inside the bag over my shoulder to take my phone. It was that second I realized I didn't have it on me. "Oh, shit."

"Everything okay? We checked the hotel a thousand times before leaving." Lucas spoke behind me.

"Yeah. I think I left my phone in Hannah's bag before we dropped her home." I spun around and replied. "Can you get it for me? Pretty please?" I couldn't go to Hannah's house while her Dad was around and getting through her without my phone was impossible.

"I'll go get. You get inside safe."

"Thank you, Lucas!"

While holding my bag tight, I got off the road and sped inside the house. Just before reaching for the door, I turned around and saw Lucas slowly driving off while his eyes were still on me. He had to make sure I entered safely and I did, without a single problem.

My house was the safest place I could be. The neighbors to my left were body builders and there was a dog to my right that would attack any bitch called Artmeis. Gerald—the dog hated new people in the area and he loved barking at strangers. There was this one time where he was chained outside and he saw Mr. Barry coming into my house. That dog didn't stop barking until he left.

My Mom walked out of the kitchen in her scrubs and found me by the door. "Oh, Marissa, you're back." She smiled. "I was wondering when you'd come home."

I pulled in the last few bags from outside and closed the door before talking with Mom. "Yeah, I am. Sorry I left so abruptly and without a message. I flew out of the town and went somewhere with Hannah for a day."

She dried her wet hands with a small towel and then took mine in hers. "No, I should be the one apologizing. I'm sorry I lashed out and said all those horrible things about you." She started, blinking away the tears in her eyes. "I trust my daughter with anything and I don't care what people say but I'll never judge you again, for anything."

I kept quiet for a long minute, taking in her words. It was a sincere apology, I could tell it from her eyes.

"Promise?"

She chuckled and wrapped her arms around, "I promise."

I rested my head over her shoulders and found myself forgiving and forgetting. Mom and I had a rough life together and the only thing that kept us both sane was the friendship we had. We cared for each other in the worst times when there was no else in this world that could care for us.

While my tear soaked into her shirt, I said, "Mom, I found my mate." My voice was raspy and quiet when I broke her the news.

"I figured that out when you left," She pulled her self away from me and held my face in her hands. "You're an offspring of an Alpha. I should've known earlier."

"Who is he? Who's my Dad?"

"I—I'll tell you soon, Marissa." She was afraid to giving me the name. "For now, I've to get to work but once I'm back, I'll tell you everything you want to know."

"Really?"

"Yes, darling." She kissed my cheek before sorting herself out and leaving from the house.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr