⇢ 𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘳

ALARMS SOUNDED AS the scientists on campus started to evacuate. With the Tesseract acting up, S.H.I.E.L.D. wanted everybody out in case things went bad.

Y/N stood beside Agent Phil Coulson as the helicopter landed on the helipad in front of them. Maria Hill and Nick Fury exited the aircraft soon after.

"You assign me on this op and not even 48 hours later, it goes to shit." Y/N remarked, which Fury ignored.

He spoke to Coulson. "How bad is it?"

"That's the problem, sir. We don't know."

The four of them took the elevator down to the lower levels of the campus. They started to walk down the dimly lit corridors.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago." Coulson continued.

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to go to test phase." Fury replied.

"He wasn't even testing it. He wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous event."

"It just turned itself on?" Hill asked.

"Seems like it." Y/N answered.

"Where are the energy levels now?" Fury asked.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down we ordered evac." Coulson answered.

"How long to get everyone out?"

"Campus should be clear in the next half-hour."

Fury glanced at Phil, "Do better." He continued walking with the two other agents as Coulson nodded and went the other way.

"Sir, evacuation may be futile." Hill told Fury.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Fury shot back with sarcasm in his tone.

"Hill has a point. I don't have much knowledge on this cube but if we can't control the energy there may not be a safe distance we can calculate." Y/N said.

"I need you two to make sure the Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out." He told them.

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Hill asked.

"Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of Phase 2 on a truck on gone."

"Yes, sir." Hill ultimately agreed. She looked at Y/N and a nearby agent. "With me."

Y/N exhaled and followed Maria. Nick Fury walked the other way to speak with Selvig and Barton in the lab.

• • •

AFTER HELPING LOAD tech into trucks for evacuation, Y/N and Maria walked into a corridor and spotted Clint Barton joined with Selvig, another agent, and a tall weirdly dressed man holding a glowing staff.

"We need these vehicles." Barton sternly spoke as he continued walking.

"Who's the Shakespeare actor?" Y/N asked Barton as he looked at the man. Selvig went into the passenger's seat and the man sat in the truck bed.

"They didn't tell me."

Maria shook her head, and turned around with Y/N following.

"Hill! L/N!" Fury's voice came through the radio. "Do you copy? Barton has turned."

Y/N heard the click of a gun behind him and immediately leaped out of the way. Hill did the same and rolled out of the line of fire as Clint shot his pistol. Freedom Fighter equipped one of his batons and bounced it off the floor, ultimately hit Barton's hand. The mind controlled Hawkeye grimaced before entering the vehicle.