Hidden Talents

Avoiding someone you live with is not ideal. But there was no way I was going to tell George about my childhood.

"When do I get to delve into your past?"

"How about never?" I try.

"I guess we don't have to tonight, but maybe later, like when we are bored at work?"

He wasn't wrong when he wanted me to tell him about my childhood during work, because every time we had a free second he would say;

"So... what was your childhood like?"

Or, "Remember when you were a kid?"

And every time he did I would groan and say, "Maybe later."

Telling him about my very princely background with my very horrible family life was definitely not a good idea. At the same time, I felt bad for not being willing to talk about my past like he was. I knew about his traumatic backstory and how he lost his mom, but he knew nothing about me. There had to be some way to make it up to him.

On day three of him asking about my childhood I finally gave in. We were sitting on the floor in our shared room, well on my makeshift bed that was on the floor. We were playing a simple card game to pass the time and George said,

"Hey. Since we are bored you should tell me about your past." His smile is evident as he gathers the cards.

I sigh dramatically. He gives me puppy dog eyes. I roll my eyes and say, "What do you want to know?"

"Wait really? Oh my gosh I have so much to ask I don't know where to start." His excitement bubbles out of him. "How about... what's the dumbest thing you did as a kid?"

"Wait, wait, wait... You told me about your traumatic backstory and the first thing you want to know about me is the dumbest thing I did as a kid?"

George stares blankly at me. "Traumatic backstory?"

I could feel myself on the edge of a dangerous topic, right on the edge of a cliff, waiting to topple over if I said the wrong thing.

"I-I umm... just mean, because you told me about such a personal thing in your life. I just feel like you would've wanted to know something like that as well."

He nods his head in thought. "I mean... I guess, but I would rather hear about dumb things you did because then I can mock you." He smirks.

Coast is clear. I carefully backed myself away from the metaphorical cliff. "Okay, wow. Just reveal your true and evil intentions. Now I don't want to tell you." I fold my arms and turn away from him.

"No, no wait," he tugs on my arm, "I was kidding, I'm sorry. Please tell me."

I look over at his pleading eyes and give in once again.

"Okay fine."

He smiles happily and releases my arm. I ponder on a good story to tell him without telling him too much about my princely life.

"Okay. There was this one time I was in my backyard, and umm, there were lots of bushes and trees around right? So, I was about 8 or 9 years old, and I was being babysat. I got bored of playing outside and I wanted to go inside and eat, but my babysitter told me I had to stay outside for another 10 minutes." I watch as George slowly gets more and more intrigued in my story telling. "Well, I didn't want to play anymore, I wanted to eat. So, I walked out of sight from my babysitter and started eating berries from one of the bushes in the courtyard. They happened to be not edible berries and the nurses had to give me the hiemlich and stick their fingers in my throat so that I would throw it all up." I shiver at the memory.

George laughs happily making me smile. I never noticed how cute George's laugh was...

"That is pretty stupid." He giggles.

I let a stupid grin sit on my face as he laughs about my story. His cheeks squish up and turn pink, his smile wide across his face, his nose scrunched. Kinda cute...?

I shake the intrusive thoughts from my head.

"Your turn then?" I ask after George's laughing fit.

"Do I have to tell a dumb thing I did as a kid or did you want something else?" He pauses, letting me think about it. "Because there is no way I'll be able to think of a story of me being dumb. I was never dumb as a kid."

My mouth opens to say something and I let it close into a smirk. I shake my head. "Yeah right."

He rolls his eyes. "I'm serious!"

"Sure sure." Before he can protest, I say, "How about you just tell me about one of your hidden talents?"

He blinks in surprise and then brings his hand up to his chin in thought. "That's a good question," he notes, still pondering.

"Why thank you." I bow my head and George giggles at me, giving my shoulder a playful shove.

I sit in shock as my shoulder tingles from where he touched it. What the heck is wrong with me today?

"This is kind of embarrassing," George shakes me from my thoughts. "I actually learned how to do archery when I was young. My mother taught me how. Sometimes I go out in the middle of the woods and practice." He hides his face in his hands. "I know it's weird."

I'm surprised. "What? No, no. It's really cool!" I pull his hands from his face and he blinks at me. "I never learned archery, I was taught horseback riding and sword fighting instead. But that's kind of awesome. I'm jealous."

He lightly smiles. "Really?"

I chuckle. "Yeah! I think you should show me sometime."

"Okay."

I nod my head enthusiastically and smile brightly at him. His dark eyes sparkle happily. I realize I still have a hold of his hands and quickly pull my hands away, placing them in my lap. My face feels hot.

Stupid...

"What about you?" George asks, after I clear my throat awkwardly.

"What about me?"

He breathes out quickly with a smile. "Yeah. Don't you have a hidden talent?"

"Oh, I- uhh... Yeah. Duh. That's what you... right."

Why am I so nervous? My palms are sweaty. Eww. I wipe them on my pants, casually tapping my knees with my fingers.

He chuckles at my words. I look everywhere but his face as I think on his question.

"Hidden talents...? I actually can think of something, but I would never tell my parents about it. It was actually something I hid from them..." I finally catch Georges eyes. Our gazes lock. His lips slightly part as he waits for my response. He smiles at me prompting me to continue.

"Umm... yeah. What... What was I saying?" I feel lost in his eyes.

He giggles, bringing his shoulders up, a fist over his smile. His eyes open again and he says, "You didn't tell your parents about it..."

"Right." I look down at my hands. My heart is racing. Am I sick or something?

"So, I actually play the lute." (It's like a banjo, but old fashioned)

"Really? No way. My father has a lute downstairs." He laughs happily.

"Oh. That's so cool. Does he play?"

"I don't think so. Well... maybe he used to. I should go get it." He quickly stands up. "Then you can play it for me." He steps over my crossed legs and rushes down the stairs.

"Oh..." I say to myself.

Hold on! I don't want to play the lute in front of George!?

Ahh. Whoopsie! Dream is in trouble. What do you think of the story so far? I've had so much fun writing this.

Thanks for reading! <3

1325 words