⇢ 𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯

THE DRIVE AWAY from the ruins of Camp Lehigh was a quiet one. Rogers still commandeered the vehicle while Y/N sat in the back with Natasha's head resting on his lap.

Steve often looked at them through the rear view mirror, every now and then Y/N moving the hair out of her face and running his fingers through it. Rogers knew he cared for her even more than what their harmless back and forth flirting presented.

"Is she doing okay?" He asked.

"Her breathing is normal. Nothing broken as far as I can see." Y/N answered.

The older man simply nodded and continued the drive. There was more silence until the younger soldier spoke again.

"Steve?" He asked. "Back there, what Zola was saying..."

"I know." Steve replied immediately knowing where he was going. "It's a lot to take in...for the both of us."

"Yeah." Y/N replied. The fact that he was talking to his real father still took a while to process. "I don't know if should be happy or..."

Steve looked at him through the rear-view mirror. Despite the circumstances, he was relieved that his son was alive and well.

"Just know that I am."

Natasha suddenly stirred awake and looked around with narrowed eyes.

"Wha...what happened?" She asked. "Where are we?"

"Relax. We're on our way to some place safe. We've been driving for a while now."

He took her exhale as a form of response and she shifted her body, still laying her head on his lap.

"Some place safe? Where?" She asked.

Y/N looked out the window. "A friend's."

• • •

A KNOCK ON the door alerted the homeowner inside. Sam Wilson opened it and was surprised to see Y/N, Steve, and their friend Natasha at his doorstep. By the looks of their clothes and bruises on their faces, he immediately knew they needed help.

"Hey, man." Sam greeted.

Y/N held Natasha beside him. "I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low."

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." She added.

Sam looked at Steve who nodded in agreement. He then glanced around his yard.

"Not everyone."

The veteran let them in and shut the door.