⇢ 𝘴𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘸

FOUR WEEKS HAD gone by and the ramifications of the Lagos mission was still being felt. Public opinion on the Avengers was basically split, with people either calling for action against them for the damages they've caused or showing their support for the heroes's work despite it.

They were called to the conference room where the recently arrived Secretary of State, Thaddeus Ross, wanted to speak with the Avengers. He stood in front of their table with his assistant a few feet away from him near the screen. Tony Stark also attended, who sat in the corner of the room.

"Five years ago I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing

"Five years ago I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing." Ross said as he mimicked his golfing motion. "Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I had found something that 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective."

The former army general continued as the team listened.

"The world owes the Avengers an unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes there are some that would prefer the word vigilantes."

"What word you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked.

He looked at her. "How about dangerous?"

Y/N scoffed at his remark. Across the table, Wanda writhed in her seat at that after that statement and Pietro noticed.

"What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Ross added.

"These enhanced individuals helped you extract those soldiers last year." Pietro shot back. "A mission that had Y/N taken and we had to get him back."

Ross looked at the silver-haired Maximoff twin, not knowing what to say. "I'm sorry for that. But as soldiers should know, which Y/N and I once were, the unexpected is bound to happen."

Y/N didn't say anything and simply rested his chin on his hand as he looked forward, ready to see what Thaddeus wanted to show them.

The Secretary turned on the screen and held the remote in his hand.

"New York."

He showed clips from the Battle of New York in 2012. Rhodey glanced down at his hands before turning back to Natasha and Steve, who still had their eyes glued to the screen.

 Rhodey glanced down at his hands before turning back to Natasha and Steve, who still had their eyes glued to the screen