Chapter 1 | now, maeve is busy and has an opinion on baby turtles

--------------------> MAEVE'S DAY STARTED WITH BREAKFAST WITH HER PARENTS, who woke up at the unholy seven in the morning just to eat with their daughter before she rushed off to begin her day with a visit to St Mungo's Hospital

--------------------> MAEVE'S DAY STARTED WITH BREAKFAST WITH HER PARENTS, who woke up at the unholy seven in the morning just to eat with their daughter before she rushed off to begin her day with a visit to St Mungo's Hospital. With a mere ten minutes remaining for Maeve's appointment with Andromeda, she'd taken to darting along the hallways, narrowly dodging patients, healers and nurses alike; apologises following her steps like a shadow.

The one person she ended up bumping happened to be the one person she didn't want to avoid.

"Jesus, Maeve, calm down," laughed Halley, rubbing her forehead, more joyous and the least serious Maeve had ever seen her.

"Sorry, Halley," said Maeve, sheepish, rubbing her own forehead. "I thought you worked the night shifts."

"I'm taking an extra one," responded Halley, pocketing her hands into the grey robes identifying her as an employee of St Mungo's. "Dad retired recently. I need the money."

Maeve nodded. "How have you been liking the job so far?"

Halley shrugged. "Working as a researcher here isn't as challenging as I'd like, but it pays quite a bit, so I'm trying to make the best of it before the recruitment for the Unspeakables begins."

"I thought the Unspeakables recruited someone, not the other way around."

"They do," said Halley, eyes glinting with embers. "And I'll get in this time, just you wait."

"You will," agreed Maeve.

"What about you?" Halley inquired. "We haven't talked much lately, have we? You've gotten so busy, it's like we have to make an appointment to meet you," she joked, understanding and sad at the same time.

Maeve winced. "I'm sor—"

"If you're about to apologise," interrupted Halley, "cut it out. Having work is nothing to be apologetic about. You're doing wonderful things, Maeve, I'm happy for you. I hope you're also remembering to eat enough and drink water and just, taking care of yourself."

"I am, I hope you are as well." Maeve bit the inside of her cheek. "We should catch up. All of us." It hurt to think that Bruce wouldn't be included in all of us anymore.

"We should," agreed Halley. "Sirius and I just bought a flat together. Are you free during the weekend? We could have a slumber party. I'll invite Kate and Max as well."

"That sounds incredible. I'll be there." Maeve pulled out a diary and a filled quill from her sling bag, and half-smiled. "Write me the address?"

Halley accepted the diary and quill and snorted. "Of course. Also, house-warming gifts are encouraged."

"But not compulsory?"

"Highly encouraged."

"Still not hearing they're compulsory," sang Maeve, teasing.