𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍

INTERMISSION

chanukah 1968

"COME NOW REMUS!" Hope called from the kitchen with a brilliant smile on her face. The kitchen smelled as it always did this time of year, when the dark days grew longer, but the long candles were brought out for eight precious nights and it was then and only then that Betty and Remus Lupin were allowed to use matches. 

Remus and Betty both scurried down the stairs in their best outfits, ready for the holiday that it seemed only they celebrated. For when they had their metal menorah sitting in the window as the candles blazed through the night, their neighbors had green Christmas trees with rainbow lights and angels. 

But, perhaps what made this year better than all of the others wasn't because of their mother's special Kugel or the fact that they might've had presents all eight nights instead of just a pair of socks on the first because of their father's promotion, but it was that there was no full moon in sight. And Remus Lupin was quite content in the hand knit sweater that his mother had given him a few weeks prior. 

"Betty, dear, help me set the table for dinner," Hope said warmly as she brought out her best napkins and the few bits of silverware that the Lupins owned. Betty smiled greatly and immediately rushed to her mother's side — ready to help her in anyway she needed. Her small hands grasped at the forks and knives as she laid them carefully one after the other, like little solider toys. "That's it. There we go! It's all coming together!" 

"What's all coming together?" Lyall asked as he trudged through the door, covered in falling snow, but a jolly smile on his face nonetheless. 

"Everything, my love," Hope replied with a kind smile as she helped Betty with the finishing touches on the table. 

Remus, however, was in the kitchen and was finishing frying the latkes that his mother had started to make ( and sneaking some finger dips of raspberry jam, not that he'd want Hope to find out ). He hissed when some oil flew onto his hand and waved it ferociously in the air as his eyes started to tear up.

"Oh dear," Hope said quietly as she rushed over to her son. "What has happened?"

"Some oil got on my hand," Remus revealed as he pointed to the red area.

"My mum used to say it was good luck and that no Chanukah was complete without at least one person accidentally burning themselves," Hope joked lightheartedly as she pressed a tea towel with cold water onto his hand. She kissed it as she did so, but removed it too soon for Remus's liking, only to put a bandage on it. "There we go, right as rain."

"Do you think you can solider on, son?" Lyall asked with a goofy smile as he got on one knee and pretended to examine his son's injury. "That's one nasty one right there. Wouldn't be surprised if you didn't make it."

"Lyall!" Hope scolded as she lightly hit his shoulder. Lyall, however, only grinned and leaned in, stealing a sweet kiss. "Not in front of the kids!" 

"They should learn about how they were made — " Lyall joked as he got up and hugged Betty into his side.

"Lyall!" Hope scolded once more as she sent him a dirty look. However, she couldn't contain her smile for much longer than about thirty seconds, but turned away before her husband could see it. "Come now, help me get everything to the table!" 

Using tea towels and ends of skirts, eventually everything, including the hot dishes were placed on the Lupin dinner table and they all sat down at their usual places. However, a great menorah was placed in the center of the table with eight candles placed neatly in it. The Lupins had always considered themselves seventh night people — only on the seventh night would they celebrate with grandeur. 

"Remus, would you like to light the candles?" Hope asked as she pulled out a box of matches and handed them to little Remus. "How about Birdy helps you on the other side, seeing as you wouldn't want to squash the potatoes on your reach over."

"Really?" Remus asked with a scrunched nose.

"Yes, really," Lyall replied for Hope as he struck a match for Remus and presented it to him. 

Remus took down the candle placed in the very top holder in the center, the shamash, and tilted the end of the flame to the wick. The candle burst to life, lighting up Remus's eyes and making the mischievous glint, however small it was, shine brightly. He quickly blew out the match, but left the candle perfectly in tact.

"Birdy would like to lead us?" Hope asked as she took Lyall's hand in her own. 

"Baruch atah Adonai Eloheinu Melech ha-olam," Betty recited from all of her years of learning through these eight nights. Remus, however, handed her the shamash, making her forget the prayer completely and focus on the burning candle. 

"Asher kid'shanu b-mitzvotav, v-tzivanu l'hadlik ner shel Hanukkah," Remus finished for her as their parents joined in once more with their children. 

"How about you both take it to the window?" Lyall asked with a big smile.

"Are you sure we should do that this year?" Hope whispered to her husband. "Remember when the neigh — "

"I'm sure," Lyall whispered back as he squeezed her hand and sent her a tight smile. They maintained silent eye contact as their kids were blissfully unaware of their and other's whisperings. 

"Rem, can I hold it?" Betty asked as she trotted next to Remus, who was carefully carrying the menorah over. 

"Dad asked me to told it!" Remus protested as he pouted.

"He said both of us should," Betty corrected with a pointed eye and a small smile. 

Remus rolled his eyes, but moved one of his hands. "We can both hold it, but only if you don't drop it."

Betty rolled her eyes as well, but didn't say anything back as they walked in unison towards their empty window sill. Placing the metal menorah down and turning it, so it was perfectly straight for everyone to see the joy of the Lupins.

"Come back to the table dears," Hope called as both children tore their eyes away from the eight familiar flames. "The food's getting cold."

"I'll race you," Remus said with a smile.

"No fair!" Betty huffed as she pouted. "You're so much faster than me!" 

"Come on!" Remus exclaimed as he started to jog, making sure that he was making it a close race the entire time instead of completely outrunning his sister. 

"I almost beat you! I almost beat you!" Betty exclaimed once they'd reached the table and she sat down excitedly. In all of her joy, she noticed the latkes and apple sauce and passed them to Remus first, they were, after all, his favorites.