Chapter 1

Sarah P.O.V

Life is not as easy as a fairytale it has shades that are lighter and darker. I used to believe that everything would always have a happy ending. Maybe it's because I was too naïve growing up, but I always thought my life would be like a fairy tale, or at least I hoped it would be better one day.

My Mom Sophia, passed away when I was just 5 and after a few years my father, Neil Darrell started dating Lisa. Soon Lisa and her daughter Chloe shifted to our house. During the initial days, Lisa was always good towards me but as soon as she got married to my father, she started showing her other evil side. I and Chloe were the same age but Lisa made sure that Chloe got all the attention of both Lisa and Dad.

After a few months, I started noticing how Dad also started ignoring me and got busy with his perfect family. As time passed I was just an extra unwanted family member who no one cared about in the house.

My only happy place was with my maternal grandparents who lived in Italy but we always made sure to visit each other whenever we could. Apart from my family, there were only two people in the whole world whom I loved the most after my family. They were my childhood best friends- Jessica Martin and Adrian Parker. We three were inseparable until Adrian moved to board school in London.

Jessica and I made sure to stay together and continue to talk to Adrian every weekend. As soon as I got into high school, Jessica started to ignore me and preferred to hang around with Chole, and soon they were the new best friends. After a few days, even Adrian stopped replying to my messages and calls.

Bypassing time everyone around me made sure to compare with Chloe or other girls. Lisa always looked toward the chance to insult my looks and clothes and she made sure people treated me the same way as she did. Even My dad started looking at me as a disgrace. I tolerated all the insults, abuse, and wrongdoings but soon I realized this would only make them stronger.
As little girls, we are shown scenarios where time and time again of women who were "damsels in distress" and needed saving. But as I got older, I realized that I didn't need any Prince Charming to save me.

The only person capable of saving me is myself, I need to become a strong, independent woman and have to stand up for myself. I need to overcome my hurdles and fight my own battles.

By the end of high school, I was very clear about my future and goals, I made sure to work hard to get into the top universities. My hard work paid off when I got into Harvard with a full scholarship. Moving to Boston from New York was a whole new experience for me. It was the first time I was moving out of hell, from my family, from my old life. In Boston there was no one to judge me by my clothes or looks, their people actually wanted to be my friend because of who I was.

The University days made me explore new things, it actually made me discover the real me. I used to manage my studies in the morning and my part-time job in the evening to manage my expenses.

After five years today, I hold a dual master's degree in Engineering and an MBA. Tomorrow I will be leaving Boston and going back to NYC after almost 5 years. In this time period, neither my family nor Jessica or Adrian tried to contact me. My Grandfather did offer me some finances for my needs but I barely touched them.

I packed back all my stuff and got ready for the airport. I tied my hair in a ponytail and examined my reflection in the mirror. My brown hair cascaded back up to my waist, I always preferred having short hair till high school. My round face was almost bare with minimal makeup. My glasses were gone and my hazel eyes with thick lashes were perfectly coated with Mascara.

Before arriving in Boston I hardly knew any makeup skills but after moving to Boston I learned to groom myself well. My roommate Ester Caswell is the one who supported me for these 5 years. She is the sister I could ever ask for. I was basically so pale and thin when I initially moved here, mainly because I hardly got anything to eat at home, most of the food was the leftovers.
Throughout my university days, I focused on my studies, career, and my health. Being 5'6 I was neither too fat nor too thin, Although I was still a bit insecure about my body according to Ester I have curves in all the right places.

She has gone to her parent's house for a week and soon she will be moving to NYC as well. Taking a last look at the mirror I took my stuff and called a cab. Soon I was on my way to the airport, hoping that everything would go well.

.

.

.

.

.

Little did I know this journey back to NYC was gonna make my life upside down.

_____________________________________________________

COMMENT, VOTE, AND SHARE THE STORY IF YOU LIKE!!!

Thanks, guys!!!