Chapter 5

Vince stands under the shade of the tree with Nya in his arms. The moment he lifted her against his chest, the throbbing headache he had begun subsiding. He ignores this fact and instead gets annoyed that she snuggled into him before passing out.
He hated that he was out in the middle of the forest, in the heavy downpour rescuing a weak little mutt. How could someone so tiny be so much trouble?
He scrutinized her sleeping face. He just couldn't understand how. How could he imprint on a thing like her, or why? She wasn't even attractive. She was the opposite of attractive to him. She seemed sloppy and clumsy and with only enough strength to lift a spoon to her mouth. He angrily looks away. The more he looked at her the more aggravated he was getting.

When the rain slowed down enough, he swiftly ran with her dodging trees on his way back to Dark grounds. He slows down and strides once he reaches the gates. He tells the guard who seemed shocked to send the pack doctor to his place. He was received with gasps from his pack members as he moved past. He wasn't a damsel- in-distress-saving type of alpha.

He takes her to his mansion, up the stairs, and lays her on a queen-size bed. There he stands over her staring once again. How is it possible that I just let myself run to save her?
When Malina came to him this morning he rounded up volunteers from his pack and she got all the Slays to go looking for her. He sat back behind his desk and tried to focus on what was important but he ended up pacing. He refused to admit to himself why he was pacing but that didn't stop him from jetting out the door to go looking for her. He could kick himself. Why did he go? Without her, Malina would stay with him with no issues. He pulls his phone out of his pocket and texts her. "I found her." Sent. "Come to my place. She's upstairs in the third room." Sent.

He hears the footsteps of the pack doctor coming up to the front door and goes down to let her in. "She's in the middle room, Deena." He sends her up. He has more precedence matters to handle. He goes into his study and shuts the door. With his head now feeling better he could concentrate.

Later, after a few calls and emails, he found himself wondering what was going on. He walks to the door and opens it slightly to listen. The first thing he hears is laughter and one of those laughing was a male whose voice he didn't recognize. He lets out a growl before going up the stairs. He widens the cracked door and finds Nya and Malina sitting on the bed sideways and a wolf he knew immediately was low ranked standing close by.

"Who is this?" He folds his arms and leans in the doorway.

Malina's smile fades."This is Watson. He came to help me take her to the apartment."

"You don't need help." He wasn't buying it. He shifts his attention to Watson. "Rank."

"Three, sir."

He could tell just by the way Watson glanced back at Nya that there was more than just friendliness between them. He could practically smell the desire for her coming from him. He grinds at his teeth.

"Come on." Malina places her palm on Nya's back.

It was then that he realized that her foot was bandaged. He rolled his eyes when he glanced at the minor cuts on her body that were taking so long to heal. Her lip was still split and her chest still bruised. He couldn't help how much this irritated him. She was human, not a wolf. His attention snaps to Watson's hand grabbing her wrist. "Just hold onto me." He tells her.

A low growling in his throat wanted to rise."What's happening here?"

"I already told you. We're not going to inconvenience you by staying here any longer than needed. Thank you for finding her."