Chapter 38: It's Not All Romance (But We Try)

This is hella long, whoops haha. Guess I got in a flow :)

After bowling, they had gone to a diner for some burgers and fries - hopefully the last unhealthy meal they'd eat this week. 

Maya happily skipped from the diner to the black Audi in the parking lot, Yelena on her heels. Natasha held back, falling into step with Katya. 

She had noticed during dinner that her social battery was empty. It was too much for one day. Her smiles were forced, and she stayed silent, listening to Yelena and Maya's interactions passively instead of joining in.

She wrapped her hand around Katya's, successfully attracting her attention. ''Almost home. Just one more stop,'' she whispered. 

This was more of a recent development. Or at least something from the past couple years. Katya used to be able to socialize for hours, run around all day without any problems. But her energy was just very low, drained faster by everything that had happened. 

There was nothing wrong with it, and Natasha did everything she could to help, but Katya hated that she couldn't be fun for more than a few hours.

Now, she simply sent Natasha a smile, hoping to put her at ease. Going home and sitting in front of the TV in silence sounded perfect right about now. 

At the Battery, the southernmost point of Manhattan, Natasha managed to find a spot for the car, Maya jumping out without paying much attention to her environment. The only thing she focused on was the statue in the distance, across the park, in the island in the water. 

''I can see it!'' She dragged Yelena over to the railing, practically jogging. ''Wow. It's so tall!''

''Stay with Yelena!'' Natasha yelled after her, locking the car and shaking her head. The last thing they wanted was to lose their kid in this city of millions of people. Her hand wrapped tightly around Katya's, one of her softest smiles following. ''Come on.'' 

The sun started to set on their right when they reached the waterfront, leaning with their underarms on the railing. Once again, Katya relaxed at the calm rippling water, something Natasha didn't miss. 

The terrible traffic behind them ruined the peaceful silence, but the small park they were in was enough to create some kind of bubble, like they were away from society. Maya ran around, Yelena pulling her back from trying to climb on the railing, preventing her from falling into the sea. 

Katya just stood there, next to her wife, embracing the calmness and the light sea breeze.

''We should go here at night,'' Natasha muttered after a while, staring out over the water. ''I think I'd be romantic.''

A surprised smile flashed across Katya's face, and she turned her head to watch her side-profile. ''Who are you, and what have you done to my wife? Natalia Romanova and romantic?''

''That's not fair. I am romantic,'' Natasha exclaimed softly, her eyes lighting up in joy.

Katya chuckled breathlessly, absentmindedly twisting her ring around. ''Give me an example.'' 

''I bring you flowers,'' she answered immediately and from the top of her head, challenging Katya to try and undermine that example. 

''Supermarket flowers.''

Natasha's jaw dropped in offense, but she smiled when Katya chuckled at her expression. ''Ow. That hurt. I always pick the bouquet with your favorite flowers.''

Katya laughed, bumping her shoulder into Natasha's lightly. She loved those supermarket flowers. They were a sign that Natasha thought of her.

Inner peace and content was written all over Natasha's face as she watched her wife laugh, her heart speeding up at the sound. She was happiest when Katya was happy.