Book 1: Water | 13 | The Southern Air Temple III

A/n: No 'future chapter' quote this time. Just a bit of information. I do have an Instagram, @ musiclover_j101, that I am trying to post to more regularly. My drawing tablet is currently broken so no new artwork until I can get a new one. There were some people asking if I had one, and this is my answer! Now, back to the story. Hope you enjoy!

Your Author

-Jenna

Ayaan met Katara on the way there, she had left the sanctuary not long after he did because the statues began to emit light. She had a bad feeling it had something to do with Aang, and she was right. Raging wings pelted them from all sides, making it harder and harder to move forward towards the building, which had long since been totaled by the tornado Aang had formed.

"Are you okay?" Ayaan asked, having to raise his voice so it was heard above the raging winds. Sokka nodded his head, all three of them looking out to Aang as his tattoos were glowing once again. His back was turned to them, so they were unable to see the anger upon his face.

"What happened?" Katara shouted to Sokka. All of them took shelter behind the rock Sokka hid behind, watching the scene with worry and alarm.

"He found out firebenders killed Gyatso!"

"No..." Ayaan said, saddened by the news. Although he wanted Aang to know the truth, this was not how he wanted him to find out. He closed his eyes, opening them again to gaze at the back of their youngest, who he knew was hurting.

Even if they had of told him the truth, it would not have lessened the blow. Ayaan could see the bones littering the ground around them, hordes of firebenders in old, weather-worn armor. On the furthest wall were the bones of a monk. A distinct necklace around his neck that made it clear who he was.

'This man truly was strong, to take out so many enemies alone before he perished.'

"It's his Avatar Spirit! He must have triggered it! I'm going to try and call him down!" Katara began to get up, only to find that Ayaan was already moving, having the same thoughts she did. Protecting his face with his arms, he slowly made his way towards Aang. Aang, who was floating in a sphere of wind that was only visible because of the dust and dirt it carried within it.

"Well, do it! Before he blows us off the mountain!"

Both of them found that no matter what they did, they could get no closer to Aang in that state. The wind was too strong, and they risked flying off the mountain themselves if they got any closer. Ayaan gripped Katara tightly, protecting her from the wind with his body. He'd stabbed his spear down, giving them more to hold.

Ayaan wasn't much of a speaker when it came to empathizing. He had become a person of few words but he knew that Katara and Sokka weren't like that. In moments like this, he knew that Katara could do it. So, he gave her a nod. Katara, understanding what that meant, began to speak for all of them.

"Aang! I know you're upset and I know how hard it is to lose the people you love. I went through the same thing when I lost my mom. When we almost lost Ayaan." She gave her brother a look, seeing the flicker of sadness that passed his eyes before he closed them to hide it away.

Sokka made his way over to them. The winds were lessening, and they knew that he could hear her words. Ayaan was quick to grab him too, his larger frame shielding both of them as best he could as Katara continued to speak.

"Monk Gyatso and the other airbenders may be gone, but you still have a family. Sokka, Ayaan, and I! We're your family now!" Both of her brothers glance at her, agreeing with her words.