Something's Missing

The young princess sat on her bed with a candle in her hand as she delicately turned the pages of the old journal. Elizabeth came into the room with a small pile of clothes for the princess. A soft sigh left the girls lips as she placed the clothes on the nightstand.

"Rose, you can't stay up all night." Elizabeth said softly as she sat next to her best friend. "I don't get it." Rosalie said softly ignoring her friend. "Hm? What's up? Did you find something?" Elizabeth asked placing her head on the princess' shoulder to look at the journal. A dark blush covered Rosalie's cheeks and she glanced down at her friend before forcing her eyes back onto the journal.

"It's...it seems more like a diary than anything. There are some spells and potions, but nothing big enough to be convicted." Rosalie said turning the page to see the next two pages covered in drawings of herbs and crystals. The top of the first page said 'Love Spell' in pink calligraphy. Right below it in a bright red was 'Danger! Don't Use, Dummy!' "This is a spell isn't it?" Elizabeth asked and the princess nodded. "Yes, but it's a love spell. I don't think she has Varian under her control with this spell. It has to be something greater." Rosalie said turning the page once more.

"Rose, maybe we should give her a chance. She said she wouldn't hurt us, I-I think we should believe her." Elizabeth said softly not sure on how her friend would react. "Believe her? Liz, I'm sorry but she's a witch. She can't be trusted, you know that." The princess said and a soft huff came from Elizabeth.

"You have to admit though, her wings were beautiful." Rosalie was caught off guard by the sudden comment. "They were, but that could just be her trying to woo us to her side." The princess said turning the page in the journal once more only to see some sort of protection jar. "The main spells in here are protection. Why would a powerful with need so much protection? Do you think it's protection from normal people?" Rosalie asked and Elizabeth stared down at the journal.

"Rose, I watched her grow a flower in her hand and we both saw that she is giant wings. I don't think she's trying to protect herself from us. She seems too powerful to be scared of us." Elizabeth said softly before a yawn escaped her lips. "If she's not afraid of people like us, then what has her afraid?" Rosalie asked just under her breath as she flipped the page to see a very bad drawing of a man with boney hands, dark skin, dark eyes, and a large scythe.

The drawing looked like it had been made by a child by how poorly drawn it was. "Elizabeth, listen to this." The princess said before clearing her throat to read out loud. "Shadow is Death. Death is Shadow. I saw something that I thought was Shadow, but it wasn't. I tried to touch me and a large sharp weapon thing cut its arm off. The fake shadow screamed and Death covered my eyes for some reason. He told the thing not to mess with me ever again. The thing left and Death crotched down and he told me that he was sorry I had to find out this way. I don't really know why he's sorry, but that's okay! This is the first deity I've met! We're gonna be best friends!" (I am well aware that this is not how those relationships work in witchcraft! I'm just writing this from a kids perspective please don't come at me!)

"I don't understand what that has to do with anything." Elizabeth said unconsciously snuggling closer to Rosalie making the princess blush. "This isn't just a book with spells. She talks about things that have happened in her life. This could be everything we need to-" The princess was cut off by a soft snore coming from her shoulder. She glanced down to see the black haired girl fast asleep on her shoulder.

Rosalie stared down at the girl with nothing but admiration and love in her eyes. The princess glanced around the room to make sure no one would see what she was about to do. A blush crept up her cheeks all the way to her ears as she hoped that Elizabeth was fully asleep. The princess placed a gentle and quick peck to Elizabeth's head praying to anything out there that she was asleep. A soft smile appeared on the sleeping girls face as she snuggled closer to the princess.