Chapter Twenty-Two

Josie

A sound pulls me from my sleep. Kind of faint, like a vacuum in the distance or a...

I pop my eyes open and the room tilts as it comes into view.

I'm on the private jet. I've been in the tiny bedroom enough to know just by looking at the ceiling in the darkness.

What... the fuck?

I try to sit up, but something tugs at my wrists and ankles, keeping me from doing anything but lying down.

My heart pounds against my ribcage, so harshly I'm almost certain I can hear it out loud.

I remember being at the bar with Livi, then taking a shot and feeling funny. Trey was there.

I remember, but it's all in glimpses. I don't recall being put onto the plane.

I tug against my restrains, trying to break them but they won't budge.

The door slides open and I look to see Trey's silhouette in the door.

"I thought I heard you. You didn't sleep as long as I thought you would."

"Fuck you!"

"Always so sweet, Josaleigh."

"You're a psycho. You have me tied up!"

"Because forcing you seems to be the only way I can get anything done. This won't be how our whole marriage is, will it?"

"We don't have a marriage."

"Don't we?"

Pain throbs behind my eyes when he flips the light on and I squint to adjust my vision.

Trey chuckles as he holds up a piece of paper.

Whatever drug he gave me must still be lingering, because the words dance around on the page before I can focus in on them.

My breath leaves me as I read it.

A marriage license.

With my name signed at the bottom.

"I'm not fucking stupid. I didn't trust your act for a minute. That's why I had this made. A copy was sent to the court last week. It's been finalized, but I let you think you were going to get out of this without having to hold up your end of the deal."

"I'm not married to you." Tears spring to my eyes. "That's not how it works."

"You'd be surprised how many things can get done if you have charm and money."

He winks at me. Fucking winks at me and my stomach heaves. I sit up the best I can and empty the contents of my stomach onto the floor near his shoes.

"You'll be fine, Josaleigh." Trey smirks, leaning down over me. "Just try to rest. We'll be landing soon."

"Where?"

"Our honeymoon." He shrugs like it's a simple fact and nausea rolls through me again. "Oh." He stops right at the door, turning back to me. "And you knew the consequences. I left the clues for you to be found. I want Hudson to come looking for you. I have a whole crew of people ready to kill him. Hope it was worth it to you."

I shake with sobs, pulling as hard as I can against the ties. I scream and scream until my vocal chords feel ripped, but it does no good. If there's anyone else on this plane with us, they're obviously in on this.

I'm left to fend for myself and as much as I love Hudson, I fear for him finding me.

If he ends up dead because of me I won't be able to live with it.