if i could fly

Hi Syd,

Hi Syd,

Thank you so much for the little glasses! James can't stop laughing at how much Harry looks like him with them on. He even went so far as to dress up Harry like himself and sit him up at James's desk so that when I went looking for James, I instead found Harry with a quill in his mouth.

It was absolutely adorable (and slightly terrifying until I realized that it was a Sugar Quill). You would've loved it.

We showed him the pictures you sent along as well. Don't worry, he still remembers you! He kept babbling about 'Moo-ey' and 'Syd' (which James fails to understand is not Harry misunderstanding your name, Squid, rather him being eleven months old and unable to pronounce his 'q's).

We miss you loads, James and I. It's far too quiet in this house with only the three of us, as I'm sure you know...

Have you talked to Sirius yet? I really think you ought to stop pushing it off, Syd. I can't stand the division amongst us, it's hard enough being hidden away all the time. You should talk to him.

Peter too, I know he misses you as much as you miss him.

Anyways, I'm sure none of that will have any effect on you. I'm just hoping that with a little more time you'll try to forgive Sirius for the things he said to Remus. We were all best mates once, you know. I'd love to get back to that.

Speaking of, tonight is Remus's first full moon since we left... How is he? How are you?

Usually he goes off with the boys, is he going off alone tonight? Surely he won't let you go with him (which is the smart choice, by the way. I know you like playing hero but Remus would never forgive himself if the wolf hurt you).

Oh, Harry's just spit up all over himself and James. Guess which one is throwing the bigger fit!

I've got to go calm the big baby down.

Love to you and Remus.

Best,

Lily

I folded the parchment with a small smile, envisioning perfectly the way that the false glasses would fit over Harry's face and how happy James would be to have a little duplicate.

Across the island stood Remus, who was reading a similar letter, his being from James. Remus, who practically projected the way he felt as he read, had his tongue peeking through the corner of his lips and his eyebrows furrowed slightly and sadly. His brown eyes fluttered quickly over James's writing and I knew the words were all about tonight's moon.

When he finished, Remus flipped the paper over as if to double check for more writing, and then he folded it neatly and tucked it back into its envelope. He held out his hand for my letter from Lily, which I gave him, and he scribbled the date, June 17th, 1981, across each envelope before tossing them into a box full of identical papers.