Petrichor

Ominous grey clouds hung over the skies of Manhattan, warning of rain on the horizon. The umbrella over your shoulder would provide little shelter from such a thunderstorm as the news had forecast. The time on your phone read 4:00pm, and you drew in a big sigh of disappointment. This was exactly why you rarely ordered Ubers, the wait time was inconvenient when you were in a hurry. How unfortunate that your car was in the shop until tomorrow morning getting the engine repaired.

The bustling noise of horns and chatter was not helping your already sour mood, but the track said your driver was just a couple of feet away. For some odd reason, this week in particular was more hellish than most - but tomorrow was Saturday and you were ready to unwind with some Netflix and a bowl of trail mix. It was just at that moment the Uber rolled up, a savior from the madness.

"Hey!" shouted an indignant male from the Quik Gas Mart across the way, a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and a Mountain Dew in his hand as he marched over. "I don't think so, that's Mark. My Uber."

The details of your transaction said he too was your mode of transportation. It was quite possible he'd booked two customers by mistake, but judging from the stranger's attitude he didn't seem up for an explanation. "Too bad, I was already here." Why would you be so kind to someone without manners who was immaturely calling dibs on a ride he wasn't even in the same proximity of? "Get the next one."

"Excuse me?" A haughty, mocking chuckle bellowed from him. "We may have the same driver, but I ordered first." The front of his brow furrowed as he leaned against the roof, waggling the purchase on his iPhone as evidence.

"Did you, though?" You get what you give, and you dished the same attitude back as you showed him your own receipt. "Yours says 3:58, mine is 3:57. I'm not having this argument with you because you're used to getting your way. Find. Another."

Mark rolled down his window, having listened to you both impartially. "Look, this is my bad. I could refund you both, if that's what you'd like." The genuine culpability on his face instilled pity in your heart, but it seemed like the jerk wasn't falling for his apology.

"No way am I canceling and waiting twice as long just because this bitch has never heard of first come first served." This was not something he was backing down from, it seemed and at this point you felt like your bad luck was just endless. The both of his hands slid into his pockets in confidence that you would yield to his every desire.

"Watch your mouth, or your Uber won't be the only thing you lose today. Quit being a dick and leave me alone, don't you have anything better to do than play childish games?"

Raindrops were beginning to pelt the top of your head, but if you had to stand your ground until the moon and stars rose in the sky then so be it. Bullying was not worthy of a white flag of surrender.

"I'm leaving it to you both because my low tire pressure light just came on and now I have to go on foot to the nearest Autozone." Mark closed the driver's side door in a huff. "I'd hope that when I get back, you've decided who's being driven and who isn't." And with that, he was off in what felt like no time at all.

The interior leather of the backseat felt cushy as you sat within the Porsche, figuring it was one step ahead of getting soaked and to your surprise, the man likewise climbed in next to you.

"How would you like to decide, um...?" you offered in a kind tone, realizing his name was still a mystery as silence engulfed the air around you both.

"Kai. Kai Parker, and you?" The level of irritation from earlier had died out a bit, and as you told him your name, it seemed he was pondering a way out of this that wouldn't bode horribly. It took him a minute or two before the exact idea registered in his brain. "I have a compromise of sorts, if you're down."