────── one

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ NIGHTTIME TROUBLE ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

NIGHTFALL HAD PLUNGED TOKYO INTO DARKNESS, yet with the bright city lights the place was as alive as ever. Even during these late hours the roads were busy. Several people in formal attires were either rushing to attend important meetings or heading to a fancy dinner invitation. Here and there a couple of kids strolled along the street, some of them boys looking for trouble, others had just finished cram school.

Akiko's thoughts still circled around her studies as her friend Hinata was blabbering on about this cute boy in her year that she was crushing on. The peach-haired girl seemed to want a second opinion from Akiko, but when the girl still hadn't answered after a minute Hinata eyed her suspiciously.

"Kiko-chan," Hinata said, waving a hand in front of her friend's face. "Are you sure everything is okay? You seem oddly spaced out."

"Hm?" Finally regaining awareness of her surrounding, Akiko turned her head to the side and locked eyes with Hinata. She chuckled nervously, playing with a strand of her chestnut brown hair. Her amber eyes shone with guilt. "I'm sorry. What were you saying?"

With both hands against her hips, Hinata stopped walking and glared slightly. "You have been ignoring me for the past twenty minutes while I ranted to you about Hanagaki-san. You have been like that for the past two weeks. What is going on with you?"

The shock on Akiko's face softened Hinata almost instantly, and with a deep sigh the peach-haired girl stepped forward to place a hand on Akiko's shoulder.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" she inquired. "We have known each other since we were toddlers. I am the last person who would judge you."

A smile tugged at her lips as Akiko momentarily glanced downward, fiercly fighting back the tears pooling in her eyes. She had been feeling immensely stressed out and under pressure. To see the worry on Hinata's face, to be reminded of how much the girl cared, just caused her emotions to bubble up.

"I know," confirmed Akiko. "It's just ..."

"It's alright. Take your time." Hinata linked their arms together, patting Akiko gently on the shoulder, and began walking at a slow pace.

"My father," Akiko began to say and swallowed — those two words were enough for Hinata to get a hunch — her voice thick with emotion. "He's been pressuring me to do exceptionally well in school. Lately it's gotten pretty bad. He won't even let me inside the house if I bring home a score below 90."

'You are an ungrateful child. Everything you own, everything this family owns, has been financed by me. The least you can do is work toward a good job to repay me one day. I don't have children who are anything less than extraordinary.'

Her father's voice rang through her mind. Akiko could see his face before her inner eye, the angry vein standing out on his forehead, pointing at her accusingly as though she was tarnishing the family name. She lowered her head and exhaled.