thirty - THE END

"So what happened next, Miss?" The small girl, sat eagerly in front of me behind her desk asks in anticipation.

I smile at the rows of children perched all in front of me, looking at me with beady eyes and biting on their lips. I can see in the corner of my eye the clock striking to 3'o clock indicating that it's time for the doors to open and the children to flurry home - it's the best part of the day for all of us.

I give them a grin, before standing up - each of them sighing with disappointment, shockingly not seeming to want to head home just yet. "I guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow, guys," I chuckle. "It's time to get your coats and line up at the door, quickly too, we're already running late!"

Simaltaneously, the chairs scrape against the floor and the sound of zipping pencil cases and slamming bags onto the tables overwhelmes the room. I don't mind though, it reminds me that in a few moments the room will be empty until tomorrow. Not that I don't love my job, but high school is definitely a jungle. I see Grace coming over to my desk, biting on her lip as she tugs her book close to her chest.

"Miss, does Lacey and Ashton ever end up together?" She asks, a glisten in her eye as I can tell she's a total sucker for a romance story with a happy ending. 

I smile at her, pursing my lips together. "What do you think, Grace?"

"I don't know," she shrugs, before her lips curling into a grin, "I really hope they worked something out."

I chuckle at her, watching her friends join her by the door as they all continue to squeal over the ending of the story. I open the door and watch the children flee out of the classroom.

I always enjoy Thursdays, as the class and I had decided it would be the day for telling stories. Usually the kids tell their stories, although shockingly teenagers don't seem to come up with anything much more creative than how their cats enjoy playing with string. I thought today would make a nice change if I told a story of my own.

I always love thinking about the story of Lacey and Ashton, it reminds me of how teenagers' biggest concerns are when they'll lose their virginity and why PE gym teachers are so weird. I like to remember the nights where I'd sit with the guy I loved so much, talking about nothing or everything and seeming to have the most bipolar mood swings possible. It's all great though, you don't really appreciate it until it's gone. Well, that's until you have a kid yourself and realise you're about to watch another kid go through the same mistakes you did and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

I see it every day though. I see those Lacey type of girls wondering the halls aimlessly, struggling to get themselves through the day and getting teased by those Ashton type of guys, who are captain of the sports teams and always have a girl by their side. It's sad that not every Lacey has an Ashton, every girl deserves a guy worth her time. I'm glad I've got one.

I press the buzzer at the gates to allow me into the driveway, surprisingly spotting a black porche perched in the parking space next to mine. I grab my large tote full of books and notes from the passenger seat and step onto the gravel. I march my way across the stepping stones leading to the large wooden door of the cream house. 

The door swings open and I'm greeted by Max, his hair all scruffy and his tie loosely hanging from his collar and eyes drousy. "I thought you were working until late."

I follow Max through the door and into the large white tiled porch, with two sets of turning stairs on either side and several coridors leading towards the downstairs rooms. I hand my black trench coat onto the hook and roll my eyes as I watch Max disappear in the large house. 

Things with Max haven't been too easy lately, he seems to constantly change moods and we don't talk nearly as much as we used to. I just let him get on with it though, there's not much I can do. With a sigh, I make my way upstairs with my heels clinking against every tiled step I tread on. I drag myself into the bedroom, throwing myself onto the kingsize bed in the center of the room - lighten by onto the evening sun light.