Chapter Seven: Awe

"I never asked how long you were staying in Charleston, Miss Ella."

"Actually, I have to leave Charleston earlier than I had planned. I received a letter from Scarlett yesterday, her fiancé Charles Hamilton has died."

"My condolences. I bet your sister is distraught. When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning. My aunts convinced me to stay for the dance this evening, but I couldn't put off leaving much longer. Melanie and Scarlett need me in Atlanta."

"I wouldn't have thought Scarlett needed much comforting."

"Perhaps not, but with the others now in mourning she needs my company to help stave off her boredom."

"Indeed. Well, that's a mighty shame. I shall miss our mornings together."

"As will I. Will you be attending the dance this evening?"

"I doubt I'd be welcome, the scoundrel that I am."

Ella was disappointed. That meant that this was their goodbye.

"I suppose this is goodbye then."

"Indeed. Be careful in Atlanta, I'd like to say the war will be over soon, but..."

"I'll be fine and away from the fighting. You are the one who will be out there in the thick of it. Blockade running is dangerous."

"Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself."

Rhett stood, took Ella's hand and kissed it making Ella's heart flutter.

"Goodbye Miss Ella."

"Goodbye."

Ella watched Rhett walk away and wondered if she would ever see the man again.

Later that afternoon Ella was getting ready for the dance when her aunts walked in. Aunt Pauline was carrying a large garment box.

"We wanted to thank you Ella for keeping us old women company these past weeks, you've been an absolute delight."

"Oh, that's very kind of you, but you didn't need to..."

While Aunt Pauline put the box on her bed, Aunt Eulalie came over to Ella, took her arm and lead her over to the bed.

"Now, now, you must accept it, Ella, it's in your size."

Ella opened the box to find a violet evening gown. She had never seen such a beautiful dress and she knew that if Scarlett was here she would be mighty jealous. She hugged the dress to her body.

"Oh! Thank you, Aunt Eulalie, Aunt Pauline. Thank you ever so much!"

When Ella was dressed she gazed at herself in the mirror. She had never thought of herself as beautiful, but in this dress, she felt like a princess. It turns out purple was her colour. For once she was excited to attend a social event. She felt her heart twinge with disappointment that Rhett wouldn't be there, but she was determined not to let that dampen her enjoyment of tonight.

Rhett was standing against the wall opposite the entrance to the hall keeping an eye on the guests arriving. After his farewell to Ella this morning he couldn't stop thinking about the fact that he might never see her again. Rhett had to see her one more time and so decided to attend the dance. One time when he glanced at the entrance he did a double-take and stood in awe of the woman who had just entered the room. She was a vision. The woman was petite, her purple dress hugged her small waist and showed off her curves. Her hair was piled on top of her head exposing the delicate features of her face, which was glowing with the brightness of her smile and the excitement glistening in her eyes.

Suddenly Rhett realised that this woman was, in fact, Ella. The reason he was here, the girl he had been waiting to walk into this room, was now right before him. He stood there paralyzed, gazing at her in a new light. She looked every bit the lady he knew she could be. Shaking himself free of his immobility he walked towards her. When Ella noticed him walking towards her, she stared at him in shock and happiness.

"Mr Butler, what are you... I mean I thought you said..."

"I couldn't miss the chance to see you again. Aren't you happy to see me?"

"Don't be silly, of course, I am. You just took me by surprise."

Rhett held his arm out to her.

"Will you honour me with this dance, Miss Ella O'Hara?"

Ella didn't even remember accepting as she found herself on the dance floor with Rhett's arm wrapped around her. They danced in a dream-like daze. She couldn't believe that he was here and even more so that he was dancing with her. She wasn't even nervous, all thoughts of her less than graceful dancing skills and worries of stepping on his toes barely entered her mind. Rhett was a wonderful dancer and led her around the room effortlessly. Ella had never been so happy and just let herself savour the feeling of being in his arms.

Ella smiled up at Rhett with such a profound look of happiness that Rhett's heart couldn't help but melt under her gaze. He never wanted to let go of the woman in his arms. It was this thought that woke Rhett from his haze. The fear of never seeing her again had clouded his judgement. By dancing with her he was playing with her emotions, for he could never be anything to her. He couldn't love her. Rhett panicked at the feelings Ella was causing to stir within him. He stopped dancing and let go of Ella.

Ella watched with wide eyes as Rhett left her, still standing on the dance floor, without a word.

"Rhett?"

Rhett left the room so hastily he didn't even hear Ella call him by his name for the first time.

Ella left the dance soon after. On the way back to her aunts she played the scene in her head over and over again. She couldn't understand why Rhett left so suddenly and without a word. It was so unlike him and she could not fathom what she had done to make him act in such a way. It was even more upsetting because that would be the last memory she had of him.

Ella didn't want Rhett's abrupt exit to be the last memory she had of him. She resolved to seek him out at the docks at first light tomorrow before her train departed.

So, Ella woke with the rising sun and made her way to the docks, but when she arrived Rhett's ship was gone. She walked up and down the docks in case she had remembered its location incorrectly, but it was nowhere to be found.

"They left before sunrise this morning Miss."

Ella turned around to find a sailor passing by and she nodded her head at him.

"Thank you."

Ella bottled down her despair and held herself together. She had to make her way back to her aunts so they could see her off on her train. She would wait until she was in private to fall apart.

Her aunts' goodbyes at the station were much more demure than their welcomes. As if they sensed Ella's less than cheerful mood.

"Take care of yourself, dearie."

"And know that you are welcome to visit again, anytime."

Ella embraced her aunts and said her goodbyes before boarding the train.

"Thank you ever so much and take care of yourselves."

Ella settled herself in her cabin and gazed out the window as Charleston faded away into the distance. A tear slowly made its way down her cheek. She would never find another man like Rhett. How could he leave her in such a callous way? She was so confused. Was this the real Rhett, was she finally seeing the scoundrel everyone made him out to be? Ella couldn't believe that. She wiped her tear away. Look at her, tearing up over a man. This wasn't her, she didn't need a man to make her happy. At least, that was what she had believed before she met Rhett Butler.