Chapter Fifteen: Disappointment

As the O'Hara sisters walked through Atlanta for the first time since the end of the war, Ella couldn't help but notice how much had changed. It wasn't much of a surprise. Things at Tara were a lot different than when she had been growing up. Losing their parents had changed all of her sisters, but the way Scarlett had stepped up had impressed Ella.

Now that it was safe to travel back to Atlanta, Scarlett had insisted on making the trip. Ella knew that her twin had a plan to get the money they needed for Tara, but she had neglected to share that plan. Despite Scarlett's protests, Ella had refused to let her sister travel to Atlanta alone.

Whatever Scarlett was up to, it was obvious that she didn't want Ella to know. As they walked down the busy street, Ella and Mammy had trouble keeping up with her. Unfortunately, they were no match for Scarlett's stubbornness and eventually they lost sight of her.

"That child. Always causing trouble. What is she thinking running off alone?"

"Some things never change. She doesn't want us to stop her from doing whatever foolish thing she has planned."

"You think Miss Scarlett is up to no good again, Miss Ella?"

"Why else would she not want us to accompany her to Atlanta. What I can't figure out is what she could be up to. Let's continue this way and look for her."

They continued walking along the Main Street of Atlanta. It was busy as the city was being rebuilt.

"Miss Scarlett?"

Hearing her sisters name caught Ella's attention. She turned to see a familiar face.

"Mr Kennedy?"

"Oh! Miss Ella! My apologies..."

Ella gave the man a polite smile.

"It's quite alright. It's been a long time since we have seen each other. Are you well?"

"Very well, thank you. And you? How is your family?"

"My sisters and I are... making do. I'm sure Suellen will be happy to hear that you are okay."

"You think so? I would... I mean, do you think she would... could I..."

Before he could continue to whitter on, Ella managed to gently interrupt him.

"I think my younger sister would be very pleased if you would pay her a visit."

Mr Kennedy beamed in delight.

"Would you like to see my store, Miss Ella?"

-

Meanwhile, Scarlett had found where Rhett was being imprisoned by the Yankees and posing as his sister, managed to sneak in to see him. Despite being a prisoner, she noticed that Rhett was being treated rather well and didn't seem worried about his current accommodation.

"Scarlett! How good it is to see you. And look at you! It's so nice to see a woman not dressed in rags."

In her fancy dress, recently made from the curtains which hung in her mother's study, Scarlett tried not to let on what her true intentions were. Ella had been furious when she discovered what her twin had done, but it was too late. It would be worth it if she got what they needed. Besides, Rhett always did like to see her dressed up.

"Oh Rhett, when I heard you were locked up in jail, I just couldn't bear the thought! I just had to come and see you."

The initial surprise of seeing one of the O'Hara sisters started to wear off with Scarlett's unusual words. They were unusual because the Scarlett Rhett knew didn't care about anyone but herself. And she certainly wouldn't visit him out of the kindness of her heart.