CHAPTER 16 ↠ a gift for finn

Tommy then tells everyone to move to the dining room to finally eat dinner

Tommy then tells everyone to move to the dining room to finally eat dinner. Bea jogged to catch up with Tommy before he himself left the room along with everyone else.

"You have it ready?" he confirms after she whispers to him.

"Yes, it's in the car. I was wondering that maybe it'd be a good sort of present... after dinner."

"Why not?" Tommy wonders. "Let's eat first then."

Bea nods with a smile and then Tommy lets her go into the dining room first, where everyone was deciding where to seat.

Waiting for her to look his way, Finn called her to seat next to him and she went gladly and sat next to him. On the other side of Bea sat Isaiah,on the other side of Finn, Ada. Across the table from Bea was Bonnie, so even if the table was wide they could still talk, and on Bonnie's side, across from Finn, sat Aberama, settling down next to Polly.

As she looked at Polly Gray and everyone else around the table, Bea finally realized that Michael Gray wasn't at that same table, that even if he was in Birmingham he wouldn't be welcomed, maybe ever again, and so she couldn't help but sympathize for him and feel sad.

The food was served and everyone was talking to someone else, so it was loud around the table, and everyone was happy. Since Arthur hadn't died and the Shelby Company Limited was still well on the Shelby's hands, there was no reason not to be happy and loud.

"Tommy!" Bea called out to the head of the table. "Can I have a glass of your gin, please?"

"Of course," Tommy allows, asking for a glass and a bottle of his gin to one of his waiters, who got it and put it in front of Bea.

"Don't drink too much," Aberama warns. "One glass is enough."

"Sure," Bea says without meaning before taking a sip.

"You like Tommy's gin the best?" Finn asks.

"I do. I don't even want it tonic like other gins. This is great on its own."

"Here, this is good, too," Isaiah says offering his glass to Bea.

Bea furrows her eyebrows amused, but took his glass, drinking from it as Aberama talked to Polly.

"This is rum," Bea says holding her breath in, with her throat burning. "Bonnie gave me a bit before."

"It's nice, too," Isaiah says.