Chapter 9 - Sugar Rush

The one thing Rosé hated about David Martinez was that he always graded papers really fast

The one thing Rosé hated about David Martinez was that he always graded papers really fast. The class would turn in an assignment one day and he'd have it graded within two days. She hated that because it just meant she'd get her bad grade faster.

Not this time though. This time she was actually looking forward to getting back her paper and with 10 minutes left before class ended, David announced he'd be passing them back.

"Most of you did very well," David said. He began to walk through the row of desks, handing students their paper as he talked, "Some of you did average. And some of you, well, let's just say that you should be happy there are two more of these papers you have to write before the semester is over."

Rosé tried to swallow but found that her throat was really dry. She couldn't help but think that the last remark was aimed at her. She couldn't fail this paper. It was impossible, not when Jennie had helped her.

Jennie was the top student in the department, and one of the top students in the whole school, so Rosé was sure David wasn't talking about her with his last statement. Maybe.

Rosé watched as her teacher handed Ashley her paper and saw her friend smile. Rosé smiled too. If she couldn't be happy for herself, she could be happy for Ashley.

When David got to Rosé, he stopped, "See me after class, Rosé."

She nodded.

David passed her without giving her anything. She turned to look at Ashley who had a confused look on her face. Rosé just shrugged.

Was it that bad, she wondered.

She was really worried now. If she didn't get a good grade on this, she would be letting Jennie down. She would have wasted her time and Rosé hated to think that Jennie would maybe feel like she had been a bad teacher.

She hadn't talked to or seen Jennie since their last tutoring session. There were times when Rosé almost called her, but she didn't.

It turned out that Rosé didn't have to find an excuse to contact Jennie because Jennie had contacted her. On the day her paper was due, Jennie had sent her a simple text message.

Good Luck Rosé! - JK

Rosé had smiled when she read it. She was really surprised Jennie had remembered.

"OK, that's everyone," David said, snapping Rosé out of her memory, "I'll see you all next week."

The room was suddenly filled with the noise of students talking and gathering their things.

"What did he say?" Ashley asked.

"He wants to see me," Rosé said, "Maybe it was so bad that he was afraid I'd have a meltdown in front of everyone."

"Come on, girl," Ashley said, "No way you did bad on this paper. Not with Jennie helping you."

Rosé took a breath. The last of the students were now leaving the class.