5.9

Maddie's POV

"Why don't you come out to eat with me and Mikey tonight?" Grace offers as she shuts her locker, the two of us make our way down the halls of the quickly emptying school.

"Thanks, but I think I am just going to go to the hospital," I give her a small smile, pulling my binder up against my chest. The doctors had told us that Zach was too unstable to leave the hospital. Within the group of us, we have been taking turns keeping him company, but despite our attempt at sharing the love equally Charlie and Ashton have barley left his side. I would stay with them, but they wouldn't let me skip school.

"Maddie, you have been over there every day this week," Grace glances over at me worriedly. She and Luke kept asking me to hangout, but I couldn't bring myself not to go to the hospital.

"I know, but they need me," I say quietly as we walk down the stairs. "Zach needs to keep his spirits up, and Ash...I don't want him facing this alone." I sigh, fearful of how this will all effect Ashton in the end. He has been getting so much better, and I can't risk anything setting him back.

Grace pushes open the door, holding it for me, "You really care about him, don't you?"

"Well yeah, he is my best friend," I shrug.

We pause on the sidewalk, an all too familiar blonde nearing us, two little minions following at her heels. I clutch my arm, glaring as she nears us. Grace groans, rolling her eyes. Chloe catches sight of us, a sly grin spreading on her face.

"Look who it is," Chloe gives us her best fake smile, turning her head to the side as she stops in front of us. Her minions just giggle, probably unable to form a coherent thought. They whisper something in Chloe's ear, making her laugh and glare at us.

"Just say to our faces," Grace folds her arms.

Chloe raises an eyebrow, eyeing up Grace. "Remember when you used to lag behind me Grace? Remember when you were the one laughing at whatever I said? Too bad we weeded you out when we realized you weren't good enough to be in our little group anyway."

Grace glares at her, shaking her head and letting out a soft chuckle. "Last time I checked, Chloe, I left your little group when you showed up to a party uninvited and tried to ruin someone else's relationship. Just because no one will ever love you for any reason besides your plastic boobs doesn't mean it's okay for you to go around and ruin everyone else's happiness."

"Awh, someone is getting a little heated, better be careful you wouldn't want to give me a reason to call up your little friend, what is his name- Michael?" Chloe giggles, turning to her minions and giving them a teasing smile.

"Michael would never fall into your shallow traps," Grace rolls her eyes.

"Really? Because a boy is a boy, and if you deprive him from what he needs he might just come crawling to me." Chloe bites down on her bottom lip. Grace looks at her confusedly, making Chloe chuckle, clutching her chest in pretend sincerity. "My bad, am I wrong? You have slept with him, right?"

"Chloe just stop, you don't understand that a relationship is different from a one night stand," I breathe, glancing at Grace nervously. Her eyes were lost, staring at the concrete.

"I'm just saying, watch it or else I will remind him what she is making him miss out on," Chloe brushes her hair off her shoulder. "But I'm sure little Grace will claim what is hers, right Gracie?"

Grace clenches her jaw, "At least I'm not someone else's leftovers."

Chloe smirks, "You are really funny little Grace, why don't you ask Ashton how much he enjoyed his leftovers?" She rolls her eyes, "Don't be jealous just because you can't get some."