chapter two

TW: child abductions, mention and usage of guns, mild language, police presence

what fresh hell, part two of two.

" it's no use going back to yesterday because i was a different person then. " - lewis carroll.

-

We gotta go," She said, showing Derek the message. He nodded, and followed after her as the two half-jogged, half-ran to the SUV outside.

"I gotta go, baby girl. Just keep an eye out, call me if you get anything,"

"Will do, pretty boy,"

"Girlfriend?" Genevieve asked as he hung up the phone.

"Nah, we just got some banter going on," He replied, following her as she ran out the door.

+++

"MR COPELAND," Genevieve shouted as Hotch swerved next to the curb. She opened the door and flung her seatbelt off, sprinting towards the two fighting men. "DROP THE CROWBAR,"

"DON'T DO IT! MR COPELAND!" Morgan yelled as he ran towards them. The father didn't show any signs of stopping, so Morgan dove directly on top of the two struggling men, knocking Mr Copeland out of the way. The two landed in a heap, and Genevieve ran to grab Mr Copeland by the shoulders and haul him up, holding him close to her as he struggled weakly.

Hotch ran to Jones and helped him up, ushering him back into his house.

"Let me go! He's got my kid!" Copeland snapped, slapping at Genevieve's arms, which she had wrapped around his midsection tightly. His pushing and shoving was causing her to lose balance, so instead of falling and risk losing her grip on him, she slowly guided the two of

"I got no kid!" Jones screamed back, as Hotch practically shoved him through his door.

"Let it go!" He said, waving his arms.

Derek got up, picking up Mr Copeland's crowbar as the man stopped yelling and started sobbing into Genevieve's arms.

"He's- he's got my daughter," He said, hyperventilating. Tears streamed down his face, and onto her jeans, but she just kept her hold on him, half-heartedly holding him back in case he got any other ideas, but more so embracing him as he took deep breaths that shuddered his whole frame. "I know he does,"

Derek looked concerned and made to try and pry him off of her, but Genevieve just shook her head sadly, mouthing three words at him.

"Let him be,"

+++

After the incident, Elle, Derek, Hotch, and Genevieve meet with the Copelands in a private room in the police statement.

"Mr Jones isn't interested in pressing charges," Hotch started off the conversation, looking at Mr Copeland disapprovingly.

"Oh, oh, am I supposed to be grateful? The bastard's a pedophile-" Copeland said agitatedly.

"Actually, he isn't," Genevieve interrupted. "There aren't just pedophile's on that list, Mr Copeland,"

"What-"

"His sex offence was soliciting a prostitute," Derek cut him off. "It had nothing to do with children,"

"But he's registered-"

"Mr Copeland, as Agent Taylor has already told you, there are multiple ways to get on that list. That's why accessing that type of information is supposed to be left up to law enforcement,"