Fifty-three

"I need you to do this now!"

George and I looked up as Roxanne marched into the kitchen where George and I sat, looking at houses.

He went down today to get the check for the house, since they wanted to build the very first flats in Godric's hallow.

Personally I don't think it's a place for flats but they want to modernise the town.

"What do you have there, darling?" George asked and closed down the laptop.

We hadn't told the kids that we had to move. We were going to but we didn't know how just yet.

Roxanne smashed a piece of paper onto the table and I reached out to pull it closer so I could see what it was.

The adoption certificate.

"Why can't people just be happy?" She asked. "You had the wedding last month and now you're getting divorced and I lose another mum."

"Woah... Roxi, hey." George motioned for her to come over to him and when she did, he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her. "No one is getting a divorce, and no one is losing their mum."

"But you're fighting. You always are. You don't think we know, but we do." She said before she looked at me. "And you don't like Charley. I don't want you to take him back."

I smiled softly at her and shook my head.

"I'm not taking him back to the rescue centre." I promised her. "Charley is a part of the family now."

I guess.

"Really?" Her eyes lit up.

"And no one is getting a divorce." George said. "Mum and I are having some issues but we're working on it, I promise you, and even if it did happen, which it won't, I know that you wouldn't lose your mum. You said it yourself. Dia doesn't leave."

Roxanne let go of George and then hugged me, throwing her arms around me.

"I would never." I promised her, hugging her back. "I may not have given birth to you, but you are my daughter and you always will be, do you hear me?"

"Yes, mummy."

She pulled back and grabbed the adoption certificate.

"But I still want you to do this."

"And I will." I smiled at her. "I'll put it on top of my to-do list, yeah?"

"Good." She nodded, hugging me again before she put the certificate down and walked out of the kitchen.

I looked at George, then at the adoption certificate.

I knew he had talked to Shacklebolt about me adopting Fred and Roxi, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten the certificate.

All there needed was me to sign some papers and talk to Shacklebolt myself.

"We should go down to the ministry tomorrow." I said. "Talk to Shacklebolt... make this official. I don't want Roxi to worry about this. She's nine years old. She shouldn't have to fear losing her mother."

George leaned back in the chair and ran a hand over his face, nodding.

"They heard us fight." He said with a sigh and shook his head. "This is exactly what I was afraid of."

I placed a hand on his thigh, trying to get him to look at me, which he did. I ran a hand up to the nape of his neck and leaned in to kiss him.

"Let's just..." I sighed. "Let's focus on finding a house for now."

"Alright, yeah." He agreed. "We need to move as soon as possible."

We did.

Seeing as we had to be out before February, I wanted us to move while I was still early in my pregnancy.

I didn't want to move while being days away from giving birth so the sooner we found a house and paid for it, the sooner we got to move in.

George opened the laptop again and I looked at the screen as he scrolled through some listings, then clicked on a house.

"How about this one?" He asked. "I've had my eyes on it for a while. It's located in Harrow on the Hill."

I looked at him.

"Harrow on the Hill?"

"It's a village in Middlesex." He told me. "Look. It's a country house like we talked about. It's got seven bedrooms, five bathrooms."

I looked at the price and my eyes widened.

"And it's almost five million British pounds." I said. "We don't have five million, George!"

"Actually, it's four million, six-hundred and seventy-five thousand."

I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"We don't have that kind of money. We have a check on nine-hundred thousand for this house and we can't come up with the rest for a house this expensive."

"No, I know... but I was thinking—"

"We're not taking out a loan."

George sighed.

"Alright... so nine-hundred thousand?" He asked. "It's going to be a little hard to find a country house for that price with seven bedrooms."

I nodded.

"I know. We have the check and if we add some money to the budget, I think we can say one-million and three-hundred thousand as a max."

"How about two million?"

I frowned.

"Did you just go seven-hundred up?"

George shrugged, a smile playing on his lips.

"Let's be honest... we've got the money."

"No we don't! We have our savings but that isn't anywhere near a million, plus it's in galleons. I'm a fucking teacher, George. While it pays more than Gringotts, it doesn't make me a fucking millionaire. You may have the money but I want to be a part of paying for the house."

"Technically, we have the money. We're married and we agreed to share all assets, didn't we?"

"Yes, but—"

"The shop has been doing well since always. We've got one in Diagon Alley and one in Hogsmeade. We can afford one of the more expensive houses."

I sighed and leaned back in the chair.

"I know you don't like spending that much money, but I've always wanted my kids to grow up with a lot of things, since I wasn't able to."

"Well, there're things more important than money and a lot of shit." I said. "What do you think I would rather have had as a child? The house or love from my parents?"

George sighed.

"I know... but in this case, our children can have both. They can have a life with nice things and still know that they're loved. Plus, we're raising them to know that money isn't everything. It's not like we give them everything they want. They still need to work to gain things."

I brushed my thumb over my lips as I looked at him.

"So what? You want that house that costs almost five million pounds?"

George shrugged.

"That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying we can call the realtor, come out and have a look and see if the house is worth spending that much money."

I leaned my head back and stared at the ceiling.

"Five million..." I muttered. "...I could hire a hitman like three hundred times."