48 - Her

We quickly pulled away from each other, as we realized Aiden's mum had walked in on us. I looked down, my checks getting redder by the second as no one spoke. Catherine had a hand over her mouth, her eyes wide. Slowly, she removed it, opening her mouth. 

"You sly little bastard" she referred to her son. "I knew it!" she stated, and Aiden and I looked at each other, frowning. "What exactly did you know, mum" Aiden asked, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "I knew you two had a thing for each other" she said, looking like she had just won the lottery. 

Sensing my discomfort, she smiled. "Don't be ashamed, honey, it's part of life" she assured me, and Aiden smirked, surely wanting to make fun of me, but thankfully he kept it to himself. 

"You" she pointed towards Aiden. "Why didn't you tell me you broke up with Lucy?" she asked and I chuckled, while he froze. "Uh, it's Lindsay mum" he corrected her, avoiding her question. "Tomayto, tomahto" she said, and I giggled. "I'll leave you two go back to what you were doing" she waved it off. "Oh, I almost forgot, I made lasagna, will you have lunch with us, honey?" Catherine suggested, and I looked at Aiden, uncertain of what to say. 

"Of course she will" he spoke for me, and I nodded, smiling. "Great, I'll go get things ready" she said, and left the room, excited. "You don't mind?" I asked, and Aiden's smile turned into a frown. "Why would I mind?" he asked. "Maybe you thought it was too soon for this" I explained, playing with the zipper on my jacket.

He laughed. "You've known my mum since we were like four, and fourteen years later you think is too soon?" he teased, making me chuckle, but I still kept my eyes on the zipper. "Well, things are different now" I justified my statement. 

"That doesn't mean this part has to change. You always had a connection with Catherine that I'd never want to affect. I'm still me, even if I have a different 'role' in your life now. So is she. Don't stress over this" he put his hand on my knee, running soothing circles on it. 

I struggled to get the words out, debating on whether or not I should ask, but I did anyway. "What role do you have in my life now?" I weakly spoke and he chuckled. I could tell he was searching for my eyes, but I avoided his gaze. "Well, I aspire to be your-"

His sentence was cut off by Catherine walking into the room and asking if I wanted something to drink. "We'll finish this later" Aiden whispered and winked at me when my eyes finally met his. 

~~~

"Why didn't you take me with you, I wanted to see Aidie" Jason said and I laughed. Lunch at Aiden's was great and I was so relieved to see how over the moon Catherine was with the fact that Aiden and I are...well, Aiden and I. 

I had gone home shortly after, and now me and Jason were playing chess. Or at least his version of chess. "I hadn't planned it Jay, plus you had homework to do" I said and he immediately seemed annoyed, but didn't comment. 

"What's wrong buddy?" I asked, sensing something was off. "Mum yelled at me about school" he muttered playing with his shirt, reminding me just how alike we are. "Did something happen at school?" I questioned. 

"I pushed Harry off the chair" he admitted and I sighed. "What did he do?" I asked. "How do you know he did something?" he frowned, looking at me. If only I could tell you how much I adore you. "Because you'd never do that" I said, remembering how many times he spoke about how he hates violence and how wrong he finds it. 

"He called me an orphan and made fun of me" he explained. "You know what an orphan is, Jay?" I asked, surprised. "No, but he acted like it was bad." he said. "What does it mean, Eve?" he asked. "An orphan is a person whose parents or parent have gone to Heaven." I explained to him. "But our parents haven't gone to Heaven" he said. "I know" I replied, immediately realizing why Harry had said that word, my mind going to our father.