27

If there was one thing you could take out of the tragic story of Nina Ramos, it was that people leave. It was a basic philosophy that Nina understood and lived by, and she knew that if people didn't end up leaving they'd end up disappointing her instead.

May and Coulson, however, had done neither.

Instead, they stood in front of Skye and Nina, guns drawn and aimed at the Asgardian and Kree. The room continued to shake and shadows from random objects, found themselves travelling across the floor and joining the rope of darkness circling Nina's arms.

"Hand them over," Sif shouted in the room, "I will take them to Asgard. It will be safer for all of you."

"We will do no such thing," Coulson refused, his grip on his gun tightening. To say he was in a tight spot was an understatement, not only did he have no idea what his agents had been dealing with but he had no concrete idea how to help them. 

Especially with Sif and Vin-Tak in front of him, two aliens who could kill them all very easily.

"The weapon has been activated," Vin-Tak growled, "it needs to be eliminated before it hurts someone."

"I swear if this smurf calls me an it one more time, I'm killing him," Nina said through gritted teeth. She wasn't loud enough for anyone but Skye to hear her and the hacker responded by softly tugging on the hood of her hoodie. Nina didn't turn around to look at her but the simple action managed to calm her down.

"Nina and Skye are not weapons," Coulson said, but Nina couldn't help but raise an eyebrow, not knowing who in the room he was trying to convince.

"Coulson, no one is saying they chose this, but they are dangerous," Sif stated, her words causing a few shadows to shoot out of the floor and hover around Nina protectively.

"We don't want to be this way," Skye tried to tell them.

"Imagine what will happen if your powers grow," Sif said, she focused her words on Skye not bothering to try and convince Nina. They were both warriors in their own right and Sif knew that Nina wouldn't go down without a fight, "it may not stop at breaking glass. You could bring down buildings, tear continents apart."

"She can get a handle on it," Nina hissed, standing up for her friend. She completely missed the concern in the green eyes of her late teammate and his body going up in a puff of blue smoke beside her, "we both can if given time."

"That's not what you were designed for," the Kree yelled, "you were designed to destroy, which is why you must be put down."

"That sounds an awful lot like killing to me," a certain engineer that Nina had grown attached to appeared by the door. Where his words were confident, his actions screamed nerves but Nina could see the determination behind his beautiful blue eyes.

"That is not your concern," Vin-Tak growled back, though his words mainly went unheard as Fitz's focus was locked on Nina.

"Fitz," Nina breathed out painfully. She turned to face him, showcasing the black in the veins of her face and the uncertainty in her eyes. Though, unlike the first time, Fitz looked at her with admiration instead of fear. 

"Hey, hi," Fitz told her softly, a small smile filling his face, "looks like we're gonna have to reschedule dinner, huh?"

"Y-yeah, I guess so. Sorry," Nina nodded as she looked at her hands. A small string of darkness had laced itself between her fingers, moving around each appendage and connecting to the thick rope of shadow around her arms. 

If she wasn't so afraid, she would've thought it beautiful.

"Don't worry I'll wait," Fitz said gently, he was quiet and Nina couldn't hear his next words, "I'll always wait for you."