I 41 I

☂ i heard a rumour ☂ 

The drive to the murderer's cabin is a stony silence. 

'Guys,' I say, once we pull up outside. 'I need to go inside alone.' 

'Why?' Five frowns. 

'Well...all of you aren't really on the best terms with Vanya, which is why I think it would be better if I talked to her first.' I explain, slowly. 

'Fine with me,' Klaus says cheerfully. 

'Great,' I unbuckle my seatbelt. 

'Now, just hold up,' Five says. 'Are we just going to let her go in there with the convicted murderer?' 

Luther and Diego shrug. 'Yeah, I guess so.' 

'Come on Five,' I roll my eyes. 'I have the most useful powers here.' 

'Wait a second-' Diego opens his mouth. 

I move my hand towards his face, forcing his lips together. He mumbles incoherently, before shutting up and glaring at me. 

'You can't do everything by yourself,' Five sighs. 

'Worried I'll take all the credit?' I mutter. 

'No, but-' 

'Would you guys please just quit your lovers' quarrel? Alison could be dead on the floor right now,' Luther snaps. 

'Fine,' Five grumbles. 'Go.'

'Thank you,' I open the door, hopping out. 

Now, if I'm being honest, this cabin does not look like it belongs to a killer. More like, someone's grandma or something like that. 

The door is locked, as I kinda expected. I unlock it by snapping my fingers, pushing it open gently. 

'Alison? Vanya?' I call, walking into the quiet room. 

Both Alison and Vanya are standing in shadow, looking like they're about to murder each other or something. 

'Oh, great, Y/N's here,' Vanya says. 'I suppose you knew about this?' 

'Knew about what?' I frown. 'I literally have no idea what's going on right now.' 

'What's going on, is that I have powers.' Vanya grits her teeth. 'That she knew about.' She gestures angrily at Alison. 

'I was 4, Vanya,' Alison says loudly. 'I had no idea what Dad was doing.' 

'But you just let me believe I was ordinary,' Vanya yells. 'You let me believe I was worthless. That I didn't belong anywhere.' 

'Wait, you have powers?' I raise my eyebrows. 

Then I remember the report that Dad wrote. 

Subject 008 and Subject 007 have proven to collaborate with success.

Can use combined power to manifest detonation. 

'Yes,' Vanya says. 'I can...manipulate sound into energy.' 

'So, Alison and Dad knew,' I confirm. 

'She rumoured me, Y/N.' Vanya's face contorts. 'She rumoured both of us. Because of what we can do, together.' 

'And that is...?' I ask softly, glancing back at the closed door. 

'Create utter destruction,' Vanya whispers. 

'And Dad thought we were both too dangerous, which is why he told you, you were powerless, and he kept me locked up.' I finish. 'Of course, he had to use Alison to rumour both of us, so that neither of us would remember using our powers together.' 

Vanya nods silently. 

'I'm so sorry,' Alison murmurs. 'If I could take it all back, I would.' 

'But?' Vanya's tone gets sharper. 'There's something you need to say too. I can tell.' 

'Ca... Can we do this in the car?' Alison stutters. 

At first, I'm at a loss for what's going on, and then I remember why I actually came here. 

'Why?' Vanya asks. 

Alison sighs. 'You're not gonna want to hear it.' 

'Well, that's never stopped you before.' Vanya says. 

'Leonard Peabody?' I cut in. 'His real name is Harold Jenkins.'

'Remember when I couldn't find anything in the library on Leonard?' Alison says. 'It's because Leonard Peabody doesn't exist. Harold Jenkins does.'

'He was in prison for 12 years.' I say quietly. 'He murdered his father when he was 13.'

'This is... insane.' Vanya says. 'His dad was an engineer at the...'

'I have the police report in the car, Vanya. I can show you.' Alison's eyes cloud over. 

'I don't... I don't understand.

'Leonard, Harold, I...' Vanya trails off. 

'I know it doesn't make any sense, and I know it sounds crazy, but we were in his house.' Alison says. 

'He has pictures of all of us with our eyes gouged out.' I sigh. 

'Wh... What? I...'

'I promise I will tell you everything in the car, but it is not safe.' Alison says, walking over to the door. 

'No, stop.'