42

with another hour passing, it was already nine in the morning. it was safe to say that the breakfast you prepared with diluc was fairly good.

paimon enjoyed it alot and called it 'a true dish of liyue' whereas aether just silently kept eating while savoring all the flavors.

after everyone was done, everyone started going their separate ways. paimon was the first to leave the table with aether following her, they both stood up and pushed their chair back to the table.

"come on! childe is waiting for us already!" paimon said as she grabbed the white scarf like material around his neck, pulling him to the door.

but aether stayed standing, the floating girl had little to no effect on him, she was a little weak. aether spoke up as he stood straight, "thank you for the meal." he thanked you both politely.

"we will be back soon." he said lastly before turning around and walking to the door. you were now left alone with diluc once again.

but you also had plans, first of you wanted to meet up with childe as soon as he was done with aether and paimon. and secondly it seemed like you all would stay here a bit longer than expected, so you had to get some groceries and explore the city just in case.

it was always a good thing to know the city youre staying at, that way you could know several shortcuts for dangerous occasions, it was part of your job anyways.

you knew you couldnt just meet up with childe and talk with fatui stuff while diluc was with you, but you could take him with you while you explored liyue.

that way you could both explore liyue and keep your real identity safe. you would just meet up with childe at night, it was a plan you just made up. in all honesty you didnt want to hide anything from diluc, but you had too.

aether left the residence, shutting the door carefully behind him. you took this as a chance to ask diluc about his plans for today.

you sat besides him and turned your head in his direction, letting your eyes fall on his side profile as you opened your mouth, "do you have any plans for today?" you asked him in your usual voice, getting straight to the point.

he turned his head to you, making eye contact with you. "why?" he didnt give you his usual cold stares anymore, which was a win. instead, he looked at you curiously and waited in anticipation for your answer.

"we could explore liyue city together." you said in total honesty, giving him a small smile as your eyes lit up in the slightest bit as you thought about the idea.

you liked his company, which is why you looked forward to spending time with him. diluc spoke up, "sorry, not today." he said unbothered as he turned his gaze to look in front of him, at his plate.

not expecting his response, your smile fell and you furrowed your brows as you heard his answer. you felt something empty in your chest, not being able to pinpoint exactly what it was, you ignored it.

"thats fine... but why?" you asked him, your voice filled with surprise. the red haired man noticed the tone of your voice and looked at you, wondering if you took it the wrong way.

he let his eyes fall on your expression, your furrowed brows and the fact you had no smile showed you were slightly disappointed.

diluc was always good at reading people and spoke up, "dont take it the wrong way." he started off with as he turned his full body to you while still sitting down on his chair.

he extended his one of his hands and let it fall on top of your head, ruffling your head in the slightest bit as he spoke up, "its not like i dont want to spend time with you." he said while his hand remained on top of your head.

since diluc took his gloves off to eat properly without making his gloves dirty, you could feel all the heat radiating from his gentle touch.

"i have to write a letter to the knights in mondstadt." he continued saying. your expression softened and a small smile made its way on your features.

you spoke up too, "how considerate." you said to him, "about our arrival, is it?" you asked him right after your comment. it was as if both your minds worked together.

"precisely." he confirmed and were glad you understood it, the corners of his mouth curving upwards a bit while he still let his hand rest on your head.

you nodded while speaking up, "i understand, i will still go though." you said as you realized you could spend this time useful by meeting up with childe.

he gave you a simple nod in return, "of course." he said while looking at you, his eyes never leaving yours.

you turned your head back at the plate and slowly stood up, diluc retracted his hand and let it fall besides him while he still sat down.

grabbing both yours and dilucs plates, you stood up straight and walked to the kitchen. "ill be back soon." you said to him, letting him know that you wont be taking long.

"dont stay out too long." he said under his breath in a caring way. he wished he could have joined you on your exploration through liyue city, but unfortunately he couldnt.

fortunately you could hear him, even if he said that in a whisper. "dont worry." you reassured him that you would stay safe as you cleaned the plates, letting the water flow on them to get rid of the leftovers.

"and dont overwork yourself with that letter." you continued as you glanced over your shoulder at him while drying the plates.

he gave you a smile while speaking up, "i wont." he simply replied. you dried your hands and turned around from the sink while making your way to the door just like aether and paimon did.

now with your hand on the door handle, you looked back one more time and spoke up, "see you later then." you said and fully opened the door.

"alright, goodbye." he said as you made your way outside. you shut the door behind yourself and looked around.

'now where would childe be.' you questioned to yourself, letting your feet lead the way through liyue in hopes of finding him.